Review of Random Patterns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Review of Random Patterns

Post by Jay David Randall »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Random Patterns" by Ken MacKennick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Random Patterns by Ken MacKennick is a novel that depicts the tale of William D. Johnson, who attained the status of a child genius with an IQ test that he vaguely passed. He became friends with Betsy, who used to be one of the smartest pupils at Lake Forest Elementary School. They began having a prepubescent sexual relationship. Dr. Loeb of the Newton Project discovers Williams D. Johnson as a result of his high IQ, and later, he gets a job with the Newton Project. His job was to research in Egypt and Tibet and also be booked for sex liaisons. He met with Miss Kitt, who seemingly had a matching gene with his to produce superhuman babies. Later, he began having an unemotional romantic affair with L'il Kate, a Minit Mart clerk. On his retirement eve, Johnson couldn't sleep. On his hot pillows, he fluffed them over and over to get comfortable while having flashbacks of his life as it played out in retrospect. He wasn't especially proud of all he did as a youngster, but at the same time, he didn't have any regrets. In less than a few hours to his retirement day, after working with the Newton Project for forty years, does he have any hope for a better life? Find out more when you grab a copy of this book.

What I loved most about this book was the great backstory the author employed. While the actual events of this story happened in just a matter of hours, the author takes us on an adventure through time, telling us about Johnson from when he was a kid until he grew up, making him a round character. The readers will fully understand the history of the character while at the same time keeping up with the present-day situations faced by the character. While the backstory brought up events like the relationship Johnson had with Betsy back then at Lake Forest Elementary School, the present also allowed them to be together even when all hopes were lost that Johnson would never have to be with Betsy anymore. Also, I liked the fact that, at the end of everything, Johnson settles down with his old love. This made the story a happy one.

What I disliked about the novel were the excessively erotic scenes and the excessive use of sexually suggestive words. I felt, to some extent, there was not much need for such sexual descriptions. However, the reading is enjoyable.

I would give this novel a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because I found it enjoyable to read and there was nothing that I disliked about it. The language was easy to convey, which made it fluent to read and understand. I would also state that this novel has been exceptionally well edited, as I did not encounter a single grammatical error in my process of reading this novel.

I would recommend this novel to readers who enjoy reading novels with flashbacks, drama, mystery, and romance, as these are the themes employed in the novel. I would also recommend this novel to mature and adult readers, as it contains sexual content and profane words.

Random Patterns
View: on Bookshelves
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Seems the book will be interesting to read. Nice review.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This book sounds interesting and will be a good read. Great review.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

The plot seems interesting and enjoyable. Romance readers will enjoy the sexual elements that seem to scatter here and there in the plot.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

This sounds like an interesting read but I'm not sure that I would enjoy all of the erotic scenes and language, however it might be worth a try.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I might have to pass on this one because of the excessive sexual content you mentioned. But the plot does sound intriguing.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I think I’ll have to pass on this book. I’m not a fan of books with too many erotic scenes. Your review is well written! Well done!
Selmuq Voruma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selmuq-voruma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Selmuq Voruma »

It is obvious that Johnson lived life as he should. Thought there might be few regrets, I will say he succeeded. Because while doing exploits in his profession, he never forgot to have fun.
Naomey Naom
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomey-naom.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Naomey Naom »

This looks like a book with twists I would enjoy,from brokeness to a happy ending in relationships.As a fan of romantic novels I'd enjoy the errotic scenes in the novel.This is a good review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”