Review of The Bear is Stirring

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Review of The Bear is Stirring

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bear is Stirring" by Peter Marshall.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The bear has been poked and is now stirring. I could not resist the temptation to begin with that ‘appalling’ pun, but it really does capture the essence of the espionage fiction, The Bear is Stirring by Peter Marshall. In response to a series of setbacks against the West, Russia plots to assassinate a traitor on US soil, coerce the UK into a prisoner swap, and perpetrate attacks on American and British targets. To implement this plan, the Russians exploit opportunities in international commerce, diplomacy, and even romance, giving it a diabolical dimension. As it unfolds, the story takes us from Tokyo to Washington DC, from Moscow to London, and other locations around the globe. What has provoked the ire of Russia so? Will her plan for revenge succeed? Marshall answers these questions and more without including a protagonist, which is an unusual way to write this type of book. Therefore, it is not surprising that the key characters are the heads of security and intelligence agencies, including the CIA, MI5, and GRU.

The best features of this book are the short, no-frills, and focused chapters. Marshall does not dwell on detailed descriptions of scenarios and his backstories are concise. He only gives considerable attention to the technical aspects of spy-craft that are directly relevant to the story. Among these are how to recruit and train agents, in some cases even poach from the enemy, for clandestine activities by the CIA, GRU, and MI6. Also included are matters that are pertinent to the events of our times: Novichoc poisoning, the Russia-Ukraine war, and Western intelligence lapses with catastrophic consequences. These make the book one of the most realistic fictions – to use an oxymoron – I have read.

Marshall’s treatment of the characters is also interesting. Although they are not as developed as they would be in a literary fiction – this would probably not work well for this type of plot-driven book – their quirks and individual traits are evident. Further, almost all of the characters, even the ones that seem inconsequential, play a role in the plot. That may well be the biggest advantage of not having a protagonist around which a story must revolve.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. Marshall occasionally varied the spellings of the names of some characters, which confused me. Many of these names are Russian and they are probably spelled differently depending on which part of the world you come from. Therefore, this did not significantly detract from my reading experience. There were only a few errors and these were simple typographical ones,

I have no hesitation in rating this book five out of five. Notwithstanding that it is a fiction, the book is presented in a way that gives it a real-life feel, it is fast-paced, and it relies on multiple characters rather than an individual one. While it is inevitable that such a book will be clichéd and stereotypical in some ways, these are elements delivered with taste and in good humour. A couple of examples are the incessant polite bowing of Japanese diplomats and the obligatory offering of vodka for all occasions, even morning business meetings, by the Russians.

I recommend this book to readers who like spy stories based on real-life events. You will not be disappointed with this one. Marshall aligns the story with the contemporary status of the frayed relationship between Russia and the West. Marshall’s experience as a veteran journalist also lends credibility the aspects of the book that are factual.

The Bear is Stirring
View: on Bookshelves
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Wow, Peter, this sounds really interesting; the fact that there's no person as a protagonist makes this even more fascinating. I'm going to give this one a look. Thanks.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This is a well-written and honest review, well done.
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Stevie Christopher wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 07:30 Wow, Peter, this sounds really interesting; the fact that there's no person as a protagonist makes this even more fascinating. I'm going to give this one a look. Thanks.
Thank you. The more I encounter books like this one, the more I'm discovering that not having a protagonist allows for other characters to be more involved.

...and it's David, not Peter. 😁
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Hilarybbe wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 07:14 This is a well-written and honest review, well done.
Thank you.
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Lily Chi wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 03:50 This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Thank you. It was easy to review because it was enthralling.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

DavidOchieng wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 06:51
Stevie Christopher wrote: 28 Feb 2023, 07:30 Wow, Peter, this sounds really interesting; the fact that there's no person as a protagonist makes this even more fascinating. I'm going to give this one a look. Thanks.
Thank you. The more I encounter books like this one, the more I'm discovering that not having a protagonist allows for other characters to be more involved.

I'm so sorry, oops, the book author is Peter.
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 22:00
DavidOchieng wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 06:51

I'm so sorry, oops, the book author is Peter.
I figured that's what you meant.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”