Review of Beneath the Polish Moon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Beneath the Polish Moon

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beneath the Polish Moon" by Jake Kaminski.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Beneath the Polish Moon, by Jake Kaminski, is the story of two boys from a Polish neighborhood in Milwaukee in the 1960s who became best friends the moment they met when Eugene moved in next door to Luke. The story revolves around the boys and their friends growing up and Luke's adult life.

Like all young boys, Luke and Eugene didn't think about danger; they followed their instincts. The boys survived childhood from tobogganing in the snow, sliding down the laundry chute, going on their first camping trip without their dads, and much more. As they matured, their lives went down different paths, and the boys lost touch. Luke moved to Miami and became a police officer. His carefree spirit faded as he fought crime on the Miami streets. Luke excelled at his job and got several promotions. The one that changed him the most was when he headed up the vice narcotics unit. Police work hardened Luke. He knew he had changed but couldn't get his mind off the things he encountered on his job. He had little time to spend with his wife and children. He had never returned to his childhood home, but he had reflected much on his youth. What had happened to his friends? What had he faced as a police officer on the streets of Miami that changed him so drastically?

At first glance, the reader may think this is just a coming-of-age story, but you will quickly discover it is much more than that. Jake Kaminski wrote a novel that will make you laugh at the boy's antics, cry at their heartbreaks, and hold your breath to see how they come out of dangerous situations. Luke and Eugene are the main protagonists in the story, and the chapters vacillate between Luke's childhood and his life as an adult. I can't choose a favorite aspect of this book because I loved everything about the story. My favorite characters are Luke and Eugene, although their friends Stanley and Gus are also endearing. However, Luke and Eugene have a history before they meet Stanley and Gus. The two boys got into touchy situations, such as locking the babysitter out of the house and sliding down the laundry chute, yet they came out unscathed.

I can't think of anything I disliked about this book. It appeared professionally edited, with only a few errors. There is some profanity, but it is not excessive. The characters are realistic, and their mischievous ways are believable. The book contrasts childhood innocence with adulthood stress and responsibility. Beneath the Polish Moon deserves a 5 out of 5 stars. I couldn't find any reason to deduct any points. The ending caught me by surprise; it was surreal.

I look forward to reading more of Jake Kaminski's work. I recommend this book to young adults sixteen through adulthood who enjoy reading light-hearted descriptions of growing up and intense adult dramas.

Beneath the Polish Moon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

I enjoyed reading this review. This story is heartwarming and nice. It really sounds like a coming-of-age story, but you noted that there is more to it than that, I am intrigued. I love a story with humor and I am sure I will enjoy this book.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yasmine M wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 11:22 I enjoyed reading this review. This story is heartwarming and nice. It really sounds like a coming-of-age story, but you noted that there is more to it than that, I am intrigued. I love a story with humor and I am sure I will enjoy this book.
It is a very interesting book! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”