Review of Scuffletown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Review of Scuffletown

Post by CrossK »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scuffletown" by Tommy Cofield.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Scuffletown is a book by Tommy Cofield that tells an intriguing tale. In the summer of 1975, Myron Parsons and Lori Leigh's unfortunate accident on Scuffletown Road threw everyone into a state of confusion. The people of Fountainville could not begin to imagine who would want to harm the promising youngsters before they even reached their prime.

More than a decade later, a television journalist, Mitch Beam, returns home for the funeral of his childhood friend, Billy Cole. He also uses the opportunity to find some juicy disputes and cases for his boss to use on the Judge Smack Jack Television Show. He soon learns that the townspeople have yet to recover from the deaths of their sweethearts, Myron and Lori, many years later. Mitch is desperate to find any sort of clue because his source of livelihood depends on it. He decides to investigate the rumors and unanswered questions surrounding Myron and Lori's tragic deaths while working as a "troller" to find new cases for the show. What does Mitch discover as a result of his search? Find out more in this captivating piece.

This book had some positive aspects, which made my reading experience more pleasant. The vocabulary and grammar used in the book were a bit complicated, but I appreciated this because it encouraged me to do further research and learn new things. The dates included at the beginning of the chapters helped me understand the plot more. It also helped me place all the events correctly, as there were flashbacks at different points of the book. I was impressed when I discovered Fountainville was not a fictional place but the author's hometown. It meant that all the magic and wonder that the author used to describe the place in his book was how he felt about it in reality. His writing exposed the rich southern culture of the town.

The characters in the book were easy to love and admire. I found them to be highly relatable. My favorite is A. P., whose actions paint him a loyal and supportive friend. After Mitch arrived, A.P. immediately offered him a place to stay, even though Mitch had only worked for him a while ago, and they had not seen each other for some time. He also added comedic relief for some scenes in the book. The book also carries some heavy themes that will give readers something to ponder. The most important is the importance of relationships. The townspeople would never have helped Mitch if he was not on the same page with them. Everybody believed that Myron and Lori's deaths were not accidents, and Mitch offered to help them prove that by giving the story some exposure. Mitch and Amelia would never have gotten closer if she did not trust his motives. She trusts that he will be loyal and truthful to her at all times. The length of the book was conducive, and I was able to finish it in a sitting.

The only negative aspect I discovered was the missing gaps in the storyline. As a result, I was left a bit unsatisfied with the ending because there were unresolved issues. After considering all of the above, I have decided to give this book 4 out of 5 stars. There were a few errors, but I believe the book was professionally edited. It combines many of my favorite things, so I see myself picking it up for another read in the future. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fiction with an emphasis on problem-solving or investigative work.

Scuffletown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

I was hoping that they will figure our what happened to the youngsters when the journalist starts investigating. The gap that left you unsatisfied, I hope it has nothing to do with the investigation. Nice review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”