Review of I’d be f’d up too

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Review of I’d be f’d up too

Post by Darlings O »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I’d be f’d up too" by Chance Marshaun Hill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I'd be f'd up too is a non-fiction book written by Chance Marshaun Hill. It consists of six parts that take the reader on a journey through the battle that is the author's life as he deals with various forms of insensitivity and, at times, outright evil.

The book begins with Chance preparing the reader for the culture the reader is about to step into. He then proceeds to describe, in brief, and poetic detail, the rather unnecessary everyday challenges he faces for simply being a gay Black man. He then meets these situations with reason, exposing the ridiculous logic behind them. In this book, Chance opens up about how these situations cause him to think and live. He offers deep and impactful wisdom that I believe would be truly enlightening regardless of the reader. What lessons can be learned as we are given a brilliant peek into the life of the author? Find out in this unique book.

There is quite a lot to like about this book. Chance proves to be a rather brilliant storyteller as he manages to bring the reader into his world and state of mind using only very brief poetic statements. His ability to give such impactful snippets of his life in just two sentences or less is truly commendable. His language is very simple, and even that seems to convey a story of its own. I found the book very easy to read and follow. I also like how the book took me on a journey through Chance's life, then at some point, it became less about him and more about me, the reader.

Throughout the book, it seems like Chance is talking to himself, but he is actually talking to the reader. In the prologue, Chance writes, "My story is just another version of yours." This statement proves to be very true as I ended up having a strong sense of empathy and understanding toward his experiences. The "Proclamation" part of the book is easily my favorite part. It offered a pearl of deep wisdom about life, self-discovery, facing and overcoming adversity, and growth. I must also commend the author for the honesty and vulnerability he was willing to put on display in this book. Also, each part of the book is accompanied by a beautiful piece of visual art that compliments its subject matter. Overall, the book was a unique and impactful read.

I had no negative issues with the book. I found no errors in the book as it was professionally edited. Therefore, I rate this book five out of five stars easily. I found the book eye-opening and intriguing. I was completely satisfied with the book and could not possibly rate it any lower. I recommend this book to lovers of non-fiction books that are on a path to self-discovery.

I’d be f’d up too
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”