Review of The Reprobates

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of The Reprobates

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reprobates" by Benjamin Grose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Reprobates by Benjamin Grose is a novel centered on an unnamed protagonist who, as a manager of a popular club, shares his perspective of how life is as the manager of the club and also the happenings of the club concerning him and the staff of the club.

Munks is just a typical everyday nightclub with lots of drinking, a few drugs, aggressive bouncers, and different types of customers with weird characters, and the only way to handle such a motley group and keep the business flowing, as its manager, is to have your group of special characters who can at least keep things running despite their various redundancies which tend to flare up once in a while. It seems that being a manager of a club takes more than just managing the club. To know more, read this book.

This book has a few positive aspects. It made me have a different view of the employees that work in nightclubs, as the book details the struggles they have to go through fending off drunkards while most of them also tend to get drunk once in a while. Also, I love the way the author introduces each of his numerous characters. It helps in understanding where a character is placed in the aspect of the story. Although most times, the character has a minor role.

However, there are a few things I didn’t like about the book. Foremost, I think that there were too many characters in the book, which made the story look like a combination of minor stories. As a result, there was no singular perspective in the book. This also caused a sense of disharmony which made reading and understanding the book a bit difficult. I also did not like the way the book was arranged without chapters. It made the book chaotic and hectic. I couldn't find the plot of the book. The formatting of the book should be worked on to aid readers in understanding the book.

Despite the complaints I have about this book, the book was professionally edited. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. A star was removed because of the non-segmentation of the book, which made the book difficult to read. The book contained a lot of profanity. I think this can be cut down to widen the range of audience the book can accommodate. I did not give the book a lower rating because it was an enlightening read.

I will recommend this book to anyone who loves the nightlife and would want to know the inner workings of nightclubs or the behind the scene aspect of nightclubs that come alive at night.

The Reprobates
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

I definitely get confused when there are lots of characters, so this book probably isn't for me.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Yours is a thorough review considering the difficulties of the book's formatting and lack of a solid central storyline. A nightclub and its employees could be a great setting for a story if the author had narrowed it down to a particular plot.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful reviews. Adding this book to my bookshelf ASAP for possible reading in the future. Kudos.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”