Review of Darkness Dwells In Dixie

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Review of Darkness Dwells In Dixie

Post by Alex Reeves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darkness Dwells In Dixie" by Mike E Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Growing up in negativity and toxicity is always something people pray against, and this is exactly the case with Mickey Crow. Darkness Dwells In Dixie by Mike E Reynolds tells the soul-reaching tale of Mickey and his family, a family filled with violence, unhappiness, and falsehood. Mickey's mother, Dixie Mae, a stunning beauty, married her heartthrob, Charlie Crow, expecting a marriage filled with bliss and love. For some years, Mickey and his brother, Harley, lived in peace with their parents, until things started getting out of hand. His father, Charlie, began beating Dixie Mae out of anger and jealousy, and Mickey felt an obligation to protect his mother from his father's rage. Mickey was as inquisitive as they come, and he made sure to eavesdrop on his mother's private conversation. In the course of his eavesdropping, Mickey traces whispers that tell of hidden secrets surrounding his and Harley's birth. These whispers grow louder as he ages, and he is forced to dig deep into his family history to know what secrets his parents hide. What are these secrets, and what instigated the toxicity of his beloved father such that he made it his life mission to bring misery into their lives? Check out this exhilarating thriller to find out more about this epic tale.

My reading of this book was an experience I very much appreciated having to go through, as I accumulated a handful of lessons that I would never have the opportunity to learn again. This book depicts the bad blood instigated by growing up around darkness and negativity, as is the case with Mickey and Charlie Crow. It emphasized the results of falsehood and how certain vices are passed on from one generation to another in a family where no one tells the truth. This book highlights several factors that destroy a family, with alcoholism being the major one I noticed. Charlie's father was an alcoholic, and he made sure to beat Charlie, his brother, and their mother after drinking a great deal of alcohol. This gene passed on to Charlie despite his wish not to be anything like his father, and the case was almost the same for Mickey. I enjoyed the talk about faith in this book, as it gave me a deeper understanding of God's love and mercy. This book also revealed the calming results of forgiveness, and I'd say that it's something everyone should have an idea of. This book had many positive aspects, and this is just a summary of them. Get your copy to see how this book can influence your life more positively than you could imagine.

An observation I made in this book caused a stir in me, and I hope to share it with you reading this. Mickey's household was so unfortunate that I questioned it at one point, as things never went well with them. From Charlie's abusiveness to the loss of their home to Dixie Mae's excessive drinking to the death of a very close family friend, I wondered why the author directed so much negativity at them. Honestly speaking, at some point, I seriously wondered if things would eventually turn out well for them. This is a personal observation, however, and I hope that is duly noted. All the same, I did not find any other major aspect of this book negative.

This book contains excerpts about God's love, mercy, and compassion, even though they are not deeply explained. From my standpoint, this book is better suited to people who are of the Christian faith, as people of other religions may not agree with some aspects of the book.

This book contained only one single error, and I believe that it was professionally edited. I enjoyed reading this novel, and from my perspective, the appropriate rating for it is 4 out of 5 stars. I deducted a star because I felt that the vices and despair depicted in the book were overwhelming sometimes, and this bothered me to an extent. However, I would recommend this book to someone I care about, as I believe there's much to be learned from it.

I recommend this book to people interested in a story about survival, self-development, breakthrough, and, most importantly, the act of renewing lost hope and forgiving despite the gravity of the sin committed. If you find yourself intrigued by this book, do not hesitate to get your copy.

Darkness Dwells In Dixie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
zynnyresource_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyresource.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by zynnyresource_ »

Your summary is suspenseful, and I want to know what secrets Mickey discovers. Great review.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Reading the review, it felt like Charlie is the focal point in the story, he is the cause of his family's unhappiness. But the title suggests that Dixie might be the source of it all. I wonder what is that well-kept secret. Despite being intrigued by this story, I will not be reading this book. I do not want to read something too negative and sad. Thank you for the review.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Alex Reeves »

Yasmine M wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 05:28 Reading the review, it felt like Charlie is the focal point in the story, he is the cause of his family's unhappiness. But the title suggests that Dixie might be the source of it all. I wonder what is that well-kept secret. Despite being intrigued by this story, I will not be reading this book. I do not want to read something too negative and sad. Thank you for the review.
You're right about it being too negative. However, the book details the world the way it is, and a sad reality is that the world is negative. Thanks for stopping by to comment. Have a great day.
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Of truth growing up with a negative mindset has a lot of impact on people. I had this challenge until I meet a friend who changed my mindset. Good review.
Chezley Pillow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Chezley Pillow »

Looking forward to this one! Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”