Review of Amos the Gifted

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Review of Amos the Gifted

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Amos the Gifted" by Wilbur Shapiro.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Truly, brilliance is color blind. This is the story of a Black woman, Soriana, and her son, Amos. As a young adult, Soriana got pregnant. Her boyfriend, Tyrone, insisted that she abort the pregnancy or be left to train the child on her own. She stood her ground and bore the child. Fortunately, as fate works, she was a mother to a brilliant and special boy. The boy, Amos, excelled, especially in academics. He was ahead of his peers, and this brought so much pride to his mother.

It is said that the bond between a mother and a child is unbreakable. In the face of problems, Soriana stood strong and was a pillar to her son. When a gang leader, Kingfish, wanted to recruit Amos to handle their fake paperwork, they knew it was time to flee their home. They flee to Berry Berry, located in New Hampshire. Are they able to permanently escape the gang leader? What does fate hold for them in this new environment?

Amos the Gifted was a fine read. The primary thing I loved about this book was the characterization. I loved the way each character was introduced to us with all their unique qualities. We could feel what each character felt, see their thoughts, and understand the reasons for their actions. We weren't given a chance to jump to conclusions about a said character. I must say the book was well-detailed, especially regarding the lives of Soriana and Amos. We were let into their struggles, dreams, and accomplishments of such dreams, and we weren't at any point left behind. The plot pattern was a chronological one. All events followed sequentially as the story progressed, leaving no one behind on why, how things happened, or what led to what.

Another aspect of the book which I appreciated was that it did not contain a lot of errors. This increased the level of satisfaction I had with the book. The book is a short read with less than 150 pages. However, the way the author was able to capture the events in the book while ensuring that the book was captivating was superb. I loved the inclusion of headings in the book. The headings helped me to have an idea of what the next events were and anticipate them. Wilbur Shapiro did a wonderful job.

The book had no negative aspects. The author's writing style was superb, and the book contained a lot of lessons about life. It was truly motivational, and I loved it. I am rating this book five out of five stars because of this. There is nothing in the book that warrants the deduction of a star.

I would love all Blacks to read this book to find their strengths and know that success is not based on color. I encourage youths to read this book in order to find the strength to make the world a better place. I also recommend this book to parents so that they learn to stand by their children despite the situation. If you are a member of a family, then you must read this book, as this book will benefit everyone.

Amos the Gifted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Natasha Kim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

Soriana is a strong woman and mother. The joy of her motherhood was her genius son. I admire her strength and courage. It's a must-read for me. Thanks for your review.
Jack Law
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jack Law »

Amos the Gifted is an exceptional book that explores the theme of resilience, strength, and the unbreakable bond between a mother and her child. The author, Wilbur Shapiro, skillfully crafts the characters, allowing us to relate to them, feel their emotions, and understand their motivations. The book is well-detailed and captivating, providing an excellent read that leaves no one behind.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Soriana did the right choice to give birth to Amos. When someone decides to get pregnant, then it is her responsibility to protect the child and let it be born, as Soriana did. I appreciate her decision. Your review is lovely.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
najwa oumari 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by najwa oumari 1 »

Un autre point fort du livre est la qualité de l'écriture de l'auteur, qui est sans erreur. Le livre est court, mais l'auteur a réussi à capturer les événements de manière efficace et à maintenir l'intérêt du lecteur tout au long du livre. Les titres inclus dans le livre sont également utiles pour anticiper les prochains événements.

Le livre offre également de nombreuses leçons de vie, notamment sur la persévérance, la famille et l'importance de croire en soi-même. Il est motivant et inspirant, et mérite cinq étoiles sur cinq.

Enfin, ce livre est recommandé à tout le monde, en particulier aux Noirs qui trouveront des points forts pour se motiver et croire en eux-mêmes, aux parents qui apprendront à soutenir leurs enfants dans toutes les situations, et à tous les membres de la famille qui profiteront de cette belle histoire.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I hope they were able to flee. Amos needed to be protected at all costs. He is far too brilliant for his life to be ruined by ill-intentioned people.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

This is an interesting work. It gives hope to the hopeless ladies that took in out of wedlock which was abandoned by the boyfriend. But hope came through her son Amos. I will add the book to my bookshelf ASAP. Thanks

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”