Review of A French Dream

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of A French Dream

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A French Dream" by Barry A. Whittingham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A French Dream by Barry A. Whittingham followed the life of Michael Morgan, a French teacher at Barfield School. Michael was eleven years old when he had his first visit to France. This visit was the first of three, and he fell hopelessly in love with the country. His dream was to move to France eventually. This book narrated everything he had to do to pursue this dream. Read it to know if he did or didn't fulfill his dream.

This story in this book is narrated in sophisticated and refined language. Readers who appreciate advanced grammar might be impressed by the author's language. The storytelling is leisurely and has no hurry in its tone. Most of the chapters are short, which makes it an easy read. However, readers with a limited vocabulary might need help understanding the author in certain places.

The story could have appealed to me more if it had been more lively. The blandness of the narrative was only occasionally interrupted by small bursts of excitement, especially when certain other characters were involved. There were no dazzling scenes filled with suspenseful tension and no intriguing thrills to be experienced. The story was a low-vibe narration of one man's life, family, and dream. To better understand this story's vibe, imagine those kinds of movies that would follow lone characters living dreary lives as they try to make something out of their lives.

One admirable thing about Michael's character was his keen sense of observation. He seemed in tune with his environment and the nuances of the people around him. In addition to this, Michael was as human and normal as anyone could be. Michael was a reserved character with a 'dream' reminiscent of the usual life trajectory. I saw him plagued by the typical insecurities that often beset human existence, even as he embarked on a rocky journey to find love. Michael's character was not one with whom readers would immediately fall in love. Warming up to his character would be somewhat of an acquired taste for some readers. For others, he might be a haunting image of who they didn't want to be because of his seemingly uneventful life. Either way, his character was relatable.

The book was good, even though it could have been more entertaining. I loved that the book had a philosophical feel to it. It resulted from the profound observations the story revealed about human nature. Michael Morgan's thought processes might arouse readers' meditative thinking spirit.

A French Dream was professionally edited, but a few errors were found. I'd recommend it to readers who enjoy realistic stories. Considering the negative comments, I'd rate A French Dream three out of five stars.

A French Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

The book "A French Dream" by Barry A. Whittingham sounds like an interesting read that follows the story of Michael Morgan, a French teacher at Barfield School, and his dream of moving to France. The fact that Michael fell in love with the country at the young age of eleven and made it his life goal to move there adds an element of passion and determination to the story. The book promises to detail everything Michael had to do to pursue his dream, which could make for an informative and inspiring read. Thank you for a great review 😊.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m glad Michael has a passion - moving to France one day - but you’re right in that even that can be a bit more entertaining. Thanks for a great review!
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

It would indeed be interesting to read of a man who had a dream and worked hard to achieve it. Great review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

The story of ambitious young boy according to your review is is something i thing will be interesting to read and as such will add it to my bookshelf ASAP.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”