Review of Lessonz Learned

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Review of Lessonz Learned

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lessonz Learned" by She216.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sheila is a high school senior from Cleveland, Ohio. She was raised by her grandparents after her mother, who had Sheila at the age of fifteen, abandoned her. Sheila struggles to find her path in life because she feels resentment because she was abandoned. She also struggles because many of the people in her life, including her boyfriend, are gang members. Sheila's grandparents are also overprotective because they are worried that she will end up like her mother. Will Sheila be able to make something of her life, or will she end up on the streets like so many of the people around her? Pick up a copy of Lessonz Learned by She216 and find out!

The character of Sheila was my favorite part of this book. She struggled with overcoming the mistakes of her parents. Her grandparents were generous to take her in, but their fear that she would follow in her mother's footsteps was apparent in their decisions regarding her. Sheila also dealt with dead-end relationships with guys who would never be able to give her the future she deserved. I feel as though her struggles are relatable, and she dealt with these situations realistically. She is a teenager, and her high reactance and dislike for overbearing authority figures are reasonable.

The part I disliked most about the book was the writing style itself. Most of the book was dialogue. Due to this, there were not many descriptions, so it was more difficult to visualize what was happening. There are some descriptions present in the book, but they are mostly of the characters' physical appearances.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. I am taking off a star due to the lack of detailed descriptions. I am taking off the other star due to the number of errors in the book. I spotted more than ten errors; I believe that additional proofreading is needed. Overall, I did enjoy reading this book, and I feel like many readers will be able to relate to the struggles that Sheila went through.

This book is only suitable for adults due to the explicit sexual content. There was also a lot of strong language, including racial slurs. I recommend this book to anyone looking to read about a girl struggling to escape her circumstances. There are themes of isolation, shame, and family that might speak to potential readers. This book is short and can easily be read in a few hours.

Lessonz Learned
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Thanks for the review. As an adult, this book doesn't interest me. It sounds like it would be for teenage readers, except for the explicit sexual content and language.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Sheila sounds like she needs counseling. I hope she gers the help she needs.
Giuliana Piroli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Giuliana Piroli »

Very particular and interesting book. I recommend it.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Thank you for the review. As mentioned, the narrative style in the dialogue form is a hard act to follow. If not done in the right way, readers may loose interest.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”