Review of The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein" by Donald Ray Schwartz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Maishe Rosstein is a man who decided to pick up everything and go on a road trip because he found that his life was no longer making sense. This realization came to him as he sliced open a tomato and felt compassion for it. He didn't prepare to leave but just walked out the door one day. He left his wife and dog behind. Along his travels, he runs into Krystal, who wants to go to Hollywood and be an actress. As a former college professor, Maishe begins to correct Krystal's speech patterns and teach her about the world. Will Maishe and Krystal reach California and find themselves? The answers are in a copy of The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein by Donald Ray Schwartz!

My favorite part of this book was the descriptive language used throughout the book. For example, his car "was green. If it had been a darker shade, from a distance it would have looked like a cucumber" (pg 19). Interesting descriptions such as this were throughout the book. They made the novel come to life in my mind and often added bits of humor to the book.

I also found the character of Maishe to be fascinating. He had been a college professor and an air force officer. At one point in his journey, he became a police chief. That added another layer to an already complex character. The issue became that none of the other characters matched this depth. Maishe traveled with several different women throughout his journey, including Krystal, and I do not feel like any of them were anywhere close to as memorable as Maishe. For example, Krystal was primarily characterized by having scars. It would have been nice to know more about her background than that.

Overall, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I do not feel as though the lack of character development in the secondary characters is a large enough issue to take off a star. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I believe that it was professionally edited; I only noticed one error in the book.

Due to the strong language in this book, it is only suitable for adults. This book would be best suited for those who are looking for a detailed book that focuses on one main character's travels. Those who enjoy books featuring a journey with splashes of action throughout would also enjoy this book.

The Cross Country Journey of Maishe Rosstein
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

A book detailing someone's journey with a splash of action. Could be a nice one even though the lack of character development could be an issue for me. But I'd have to read it to find out.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”