Review of Nobody comes to visit anymore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Review of Nobody comes to visit anymore

Post by Emily Meadows »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nobody comes to visit anymore" by Chris Edwards.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Nobody comes to visit anymore by Chris Edwards is a book of short stories written about a range of topics and characters. The book starts with a story called “The Firedancers,” a beautifully written narrative about a man’s love for his grandfather. “The Firedancers” anchors readers in the place where all of Edwards’ stories are based, in Texas. His use of the southern dialect and description of small-town living bring this book to life, with every story introducing new characters and scenarios. Another story in the book, “Blankets,” is about a character named Steven who is addicted to heroin. He wishes he had never tried opiates because they are so addictive, and yet he describes the high as being better than just about anything.

One of my favorite stories in the book is “Not a Cull in the Herd.” This story is about two neighbors at war with each other over a fence on their property line. The main character in this story is Delbert Ray Pickens. He is an angry bully known for his odorous gas. This story is probably the quirkiest one, as it includes either supernatural or extraterrestrial characters. These characters aren’t the only surprising ones in the book; the last story is written from the perspective of a cat.

I enjoyed reading this collection of stories. Some were fantastical, while others described scenes that felt very normal. For example, the story “Like the Others Do” is about two teenagers hanging out at a shopping mall. Their dialogue as they eat in the food court of the mall is hilarious, and it’s heartwarming when they meet and chat with a disabled teenager. The disabled teen is delighted by their company and their marijuana. In each short tale, it is evident the author has a wonderful talent for his ability to write rich, complex stories.

Some of the stories in the book contained racial and other offensive slurs. These words were used primarily in dialogue, as characters related to each other. There were a few instances where these words were used descriptively in the text. I found these words to be jarring every time I read one of them. I would also like to note that this book is written from the male perspective, with most of the stories written about boys or men. The women in Edwards’ stories are secondary characters depicted neutrally (i.e. grandmothers, mothers, wives) or negatively (i.e. high-maintenance soccer moms with big hair, a news reporter with big breasts, a prostitute).

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The author is a talented and creative writer, and he wrote an interesting book of short stories in Nobody comes to visit anymore. While there were aspects of the author’s writing that didn’t resonate with me, those things didn’t detract from the book or warrant a lower rating. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy short stories that highlight the humanity in all of us. The characters in Edwards’ book are flawed and imperfect. I would also recommend Nobody comes to visit anymore to men looking for a book that has short, male-centered stories that can be read in multiple sittings. This is a book that would be a perfect vacation read with a cup of coffee or another beverage of choice.

Nobody comes to visit anymore
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

The book title caught my eye and my heart sank immediately. But from the review, it seems the book is not all doom. Thanks for the review!
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Steven was trapped on addictive drugs, which surely ruin his health, but how he got out of that, is that he sees being high as better than anything. It was saddening. I like your review, Emily, detailed and impeccable!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”