Review of "The Tormented"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsChet Cherry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Review of "The Tormented"

Post by MsChet Cherry »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""The Tormented"" by Crystal Szwaja.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Once you're in, you're in for life, and you become one of the tormented." Harvest Bledsoe had everything going for her. She was beautiful and gracefully attractive. Her marriage with Lennon Bledsoe was a bliss, as she married her soulmate, one of the hottest guys in town. They were like "puzzle pieces that were made and destined to fit together." She savored every moment of her married life and patiently waited for the next phase (the child phase), once Lennon was ready. Three years down the line, it was time to make babies. So they agreed to go on a "get me pregnant" weekend trip. It was a well-planned trip to the Orange Beach, with lots of pampering. Unbeknownst to them, fate had an opposing plan carved out for them.

On the other hand, there was an ongoing cleansing around the world by an organized group that formed decades ago whose mission was to eliminate those who weren't of their bloodline and didn't belong to the group. They hoped to kill everyone in the world who wasn't them and who they believed made the world filthy. The question is, who are this group members?  How do you know them? How will their activities affect the world and, most especially, the lives of Harvest Bledsoe and her family? There are a lot of discoveries to be made. So go ahead and pick up this book and thank me later.

The Tormented by C. D. Szwaja is a multi-genre work of fiction that encompasses different styles of writing, ranging from thriller to soul salvation. This 387-page work of art was published in February 2022 with resounding plot twists that reverberated throughout the book. The story was narrated from the first-person point of view, giving voice to both the protagonist and the antagonist. That made it very engaging and easily relatable. The writing style of the author is as impeccable as it is alluring. I found it hard to drop the book once I picked it up. Predicting what comes next in the story was a near-impossible task, as I often found myself gaping after every shocking realization. I was awestruck when I realized the motives behind Grant's actions at the Regalia Palms Resort. The perfect pacing of the book, along with the suspense buildup, heightened my interest and made the book very absorbing. It was a moment of joy for me knowing that Harvest finally got to keep her son, but the joy quickly faded away when I realized Cooper and Miller were a few blocks away from killing them. All the characters were fantastically developed, including nurse Sherry, whose empathetic characteristics did not go unnoticed.

I have nothing to dislike about this book, as I gained valuable life lessons from it, while I got stuck with this quote that says, "stop overthinking, hesitating, and questioning everything you do in your life; trust me, you do not have time for it."

Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars, as I only found one typo, indicating that it was professionally edited. So I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys thrillers and family drama with a sprinkle of romance. Spiritually inclined people may also find it intriguing.

"The Tormented"
View: on Bookshelves
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

"Stop overthinking, hesitating, and questioning everything you do in your life; trust me, you do not have time for it." Wow, that's a powerful quote.

I like the plot of this book: the protagonists fighting for their survival against a cultic group that feels superior to the rest of the world. That must be a page-turner. I wonder though, to whom were the opening quote of your review addressed, the protagonists or antagonists?
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Blackstenius wrote: 07 Apr 2023, 08:58 "Stop overthinking, hesitating, and questioning everything you do in your life; trust me, you do not have time for it." Wow, that's a powerful quote.

I like the plot of this book: the protagonists fighting for their survival against a cultic group that feels superior to the rest of the world. That must be a page-turner. I wonder though, to whom were the opening quote of your review addressed, the protagonists or antagonists?
Thanks for your lovely comment.
I guess you should read to find out.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Sounds like this book is filled with a perfect mix of suspense, thrill, and family drama. I would love to read it and find out what happens. Your review was exceptional and I enjoyed reading it.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 10 Apr 2023, 02:56 Sounds like this book is filled with a perfect mix of suspense, thrill, and family drama. I would love to read it and find out what happens. Your review was exceptional and I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for your warm words. I appreciate that.
Mariamm Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariamm-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee

Post by Mariamm Ibrahim »

This book contains suspense and enigmas. I wouldn't want to ask questions here and I will read the book to find the answers to my question. Your review is great and well done.
Milli Karee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milli-karee.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Milli Karee »

At first I thought you were giving spoilers of the book, but after reading the whole review, I find that there is much more depth to it. I must read this book because you make it sound so intriguing.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

Having your soulmate as your life partner is one of the biggest blessings in life. The married life of Harvest Bledsoe Lennon Bledsoe was very blissful. The reviewer did a great job here, thumbs up.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

stop overthinking, hesitating, and questioning everything you do in your life; trust me, you do not have time for it.
This is a powerful quote indeed, and with the group of people who are out to kill those who don't belong with them, this quote hits with a bit more urgency. At this point, I have a lot of questions, but I might have to find out the answers myself. I like that this book is imbued with mystery and some romance. Great review.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

The storyline is quite captivating and intriguing. What will happen to Harvest and her husband? Will they come out unscathed? I would like to know. Great review.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I absolutely love this book review! It was so comprehensive and detailed, and I could feel the passion and emotion that went into writing it. Thank you for writing such a great review. It has convinced me to read the book, and I'm excited to start.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Mariamm Ibrahim wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 05:53 This book contains suspense and enigmas. I wouldn't want to ask questions here and I will read the book to find the answers to my question. Your review is great and well done.
Yes! The answers are lurking in the pages of the book. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Karee wrote: 11 Apr 2023, 11:02 At first I thought you were giving spoilers of the book, but after reading the whole review, I find that there is much more depth to it. I must read this book because you make it sound so intriguing.
Haha I would think the same too. Every information in the story seems like a spoiler. I'm glad you are interested in the book. It's intriguing indeed.
Thanks for your awesome comment.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Silvia Idahosa wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 03:57
stop overthinking, hesitating, and questioning everything you do in your life; trust me, you do not have time for it.
This is a powerful quote indeed, and with the group of people who are out to kill those who don't belong with them, this quote hits with a bit more urgency. At this point, I have a lot of questions, but I might have to find out the answers myself. I like that this book is imbued with mystery and some romance. Great review.
Exactly! I felt the urgency while ruminating on the quote. I bet you'll find all your answer in the book.
Thanks for your insightful comment.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:

Post by MsChet Cherry »

Oluchi Samuel wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 07:21 The storyline is quite captivating and intriguing. What will happen to Harvest and her husband? Will they come out unscathed? I would like to know. Great review.
That was the same question on my mind while I was flicking through the pages of the book.
Read and let me know your findings. Thanks for your thoughtful comment

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”