Review of Shatter Girl

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Review of Shatter Girl

Post by marta baglioni »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shatter Girl" by Shay Miranda.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jude Taylor, the heir of one of the most influential families in the American finance world, is in trouble. He lived in Germany for a while, thriving in a swirl of ostentation, alcohol, drugs, and a girlfriend he didn't hesitate to call an “accessory.” But now it’s all come to an end, and it’s Jude’s fault. Homeless and without a penny, he’s back in New York, where his father forces him to stay in one of the Vestgaard family’s houses and keep a low profile until the end of summer. Here, he encounters his new housemates: the intelligent and mysterious Vestgaard heiress, Aubrey, and her staff. What could ever go wrong?

Shatter Girl is a coming-of-age romance novel by Shay Miranda. It addresses topics such as disability, abandonment, and physical and emotional abuse.

This being a character-driven story, I expected outstanding personalities, and the author did not disappoint. Jude has an amazing redemption arc over the course of two months. When he arrives at Aubrey’s place, he has never had the chance to fully know himself. He doesn’t even know what his passions are. His journey begins with a simple Google search: "How to be a better person." Something trivial, per se, but from this moment on, Jude does nothing but prove he's willing to put the effort into changing for the better. The other protagonist of this story is Aubrey. I think the author describes her wonderfully, in beautiful and evocative writing. We get to know her little eccentricities, loneliness, and vulnerabilities, but also her strengths and enthusiastic nature.

This reading captured me completely. Days after I finished it, I still got glimpses and new insights about the story. In particular, one quote kept coming to my mind, which I believe perfectly represents the guiding theme of the book: "It's a balance of privilege and trauma."

There are only two things that I disliked about this novel, one being the presence of graphic sex. I don't usually mind, but I had the impression it didn't fit the generally wholesome vibe of the narration. In addition, I found the time frame a little too narrow for the developments to be fully believable.

On the other hand, though, the story is engrossing, and I enjoyed the writing style. Moreover, I believe the editing was professionally done, and I could merely point out a couple of little typos. This book, although not perfect, is very good and gives us a poignant, emotional finale. It deserves a 4 out of 5 stars rating. I heartily recommend this novel to those who repeatedly fall in love with Jojo Moyes’s or Colleen Hoover’s stories. I will definitely purchase a physical copy and keep an eye on the upcoming work from Shay Miranda. She will reserve us some surprises.

Shatter Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ibraheem Rasheedat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-cecil-hufstedler.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Ibraheem Rasheedat »

The review above gives a positive appraisal of the book "Shatter Girl" by Shay Miranda. The reviewer praises the well-developed characters and the protagonist's redemption arc. They also mention the beautiful writing and professional editing. Although they found the graphic sex and narrow time frame slightly problematic, they ultimately recommend the book, giving it a 4 out of 5 stars rating. Overall, it seems like "Shatter Girl" would be a good read, especially for fans of Jojo Moyes or Colleen Hoover.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Looks like an interesting one. Thanks for this lovely review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”