Review of The Melancholy Strumpet Master

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of The Melancholy Strumpet Master

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Melancholy Strumpet Master" by Zeb Beck.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Gil Crowell is an anthropologist who studies street sex workers for ethnographic fieldwork. After eight years of research, his doctorate degree still felt out of reach, and his job at a correctional facility didn't make things any better. Broke and feeling stuck, everyone else's accomplishments only heightened his resentment and led him to question his path—a path that was as bumpy as it gets, shaped by the curiosity of a child. As he delves in more, he'd realize that nothing almost ever goes as planned. He would wonder if he held himself back or made a wrong choice.

This novel brings to light the struggles of academia and how fragile one's mental health can be when exposed to psychologically unhealthy factors. The book also showed how committed scholars could be to their works and how much time and effort they put into research and study.

There are a lot of things to love about The Melancholy Strumpet Master by Zeb Beck. First, I love the character of Gil. Picking an interest in a group of people as a ten-year-old motherless child who drove to school with his dad every morning and holding on to that curiosity long enough to allow it to shape his future should be applauded. One could tell he genuinely cared for these women and wanted to hear their stories because he truly wanted to understand and not just prove his thesis. Gil's dry humor, which highlighted his frustration, was welcome. It was also refreshing to see that the author emphasized the importance of not judging people based on their opinions, recognizing that individuals often have limited choices and everyone deserves respect.

The book was relatable in various aspects, too, reassuring one it's sometimes okay not to have it all figured out. Gil could be any of us who choose to be completely different and want entirely different lives than we are used to. I started reading this book not fully knowing what to expect, but Gil's character was one full of emotion, and it was welcomely intense. Despite his anger, frustration, and confusion, Gil was compassionate. While reading the book, the flow and pacing were perfect. The characters were also well-developed, and I applaud the author for that. This is a book that I know I will read many times over.

Another reason why I enjoyed reading this book is that it was exceptionally well edited, There were no errors, and I rate this 5 out of 5 stars because of how thought-provoking it is. There was absolutely nothing to dislike about The Melancholy Strumpet Master. I would recommend this book to everyone who understands struggle in various aspects and, more specifically, people in the academy. While it may come easier to some, it is okay to feel like we don't have it together sometimes.

The Melancholy Strumpet Master
View: on Bookshelves
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

The review's description of Gil as a character is spot-on. His curiosity and desire to understand the stories of the sex workers he studies are what makes him so relatable and endearing. The book seems to be well-paced, which is a key factor in keeping the reader engaged throughout the narrative.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

The review is a wonderful one. It educated me of how dedicated scholars can be with their studies, the time and effort they also put in their research. It also emphasized on how fragile the mental health can be.
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

The review makes it clear that the book is thought-provoking, which is always a good sign. The fact that there were no errors in the book speaks to the author's attention to detail and the publisher's commitment to quality.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Samuel Songs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Post by Samuel Songs »

I'm intrigued by the book's exploration of the choices that we make and whether we hold ourselves back. The review's recommendation to people in the academy is interesting. It makes me curious about what specifically the book has to offer in that regard.
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
John Johnson 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-johnson-12.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by John Johnson 12 »

I like how the book tackles mental health issues in the academic world. It's a topic that needs more attention. The author's dry humor is a welcome addition to the story, and it's always nice to have some levity in a heavy book.
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

The book seems like it would be a great way to gain a deeper understanding of street sex workers and their lives. The fact that Gil's journey is shaped by his curiosity as a child makes his story even more compelling.
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

The character of Gil sounds fascinating, and his story seems like a great way to delve into the lives of street sex workers. It's great to see that the author emphasized the importance of not judging people based on their opinions and recognizing that individuals often have limited choices.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

The book's relatability is a big plus. I think many readers will see themselves in Gil's character and be able to relate to his struggles.
The intensity of Gil's emotions is what makes this book so gripping. I can't wait to read it for myself and experience it firsthand.
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

The review's rating of 5 out of 5 stars is promising. It's good to know that the book lived up to the reviewer's expectations. I'm intrigued by the title of the book. It's unique and memorable.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Your commentary on the protagonists was especially intriguing. It's always great to see well-developed characters with unique skills that make them stand out in a genre. Your review has definitely convinced me that these characters are worth investing in.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

I like how you acknowledged the author's efforts to categorize natural minerals and supplements, as well as advising which chemical foods to avoid. This is especially helpful for readers who are looking for practical ways to improve their health. Your recommendation to gift a copy of this book to a woman is also thoughtful and shows how much you value the book's potential impact.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Your review was well-written and engaging from start to finish. I appreciate how you touched on different aspects of the book, from its pacing to its editing, and how it all contributed to your overall enjoyment of the story.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

The book's emphasis on compassion is heartwarming, and I appreciate that it recognizes that everyone deserves respect. I appreciate that the book doesn't shy away from the difficulties of trying to pursue something that seems out of reach.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

I appreciate your insight on the lesson notes and how they are presented in a clear and concise manner. It is always helpful to have clear objectives when studying a new topic, and having links to additional materials is a great added benefit.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”