Review of Hyphenated Relations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Hyphenated Relations

Post by Temi Book »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hyphenated Relations" by Daniel Maunz.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sam Daly's husband, Mike, and his mother passed away on the day they were meant to have a Mother's Day dinner over two years ago. Since then, Sam and her father-in-law, Harold Lindgren, have lost touch, mostly because Sam changed her phone number. However, Sam was surprised to come home from work and find Harold in her living room, holding up one of her undergarments that he picked up from the laundry she left in the living room. Harold had come to invite her to his engagement party with his new partner, Marcie. Marcie is an elderly woman in her early sixties who has been married four times before, but each of her previous husbands died due to an illness or another misfortune, which Harold referred to as "bad luck." Marcie has four children: Sadie, Jeremy, Miguel, and Collins. Although Sadie was brought in from one of her previous marriages, Marcie has never treated any of her children differently.

Despite this, Sadie, with her bossy attitude, has convinced her siblings to join her in her plan to disrupt her mother's engagement and prevent her from getting married. As a result, Sam, who had no interest in Harold's new family, had to intervene and uncover the reasons behind Marcie's children's objections to her marriage to Harold. The novel Hyphenated Relations by Daniel Maunz tells the story of how Sam helps Harold and Marcie, whether the wedding will take place and the reasons for the children's opposition.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Mr. Daniel is an outstanding writer, and the beginning of the novel was intriguing enough to keep me interested in reading further. The author used clear grammar and presented the story in a diary format, with each event recorded. The readers get to follow each character's thought process, and the character development was top-notch, starting from their introduction to their role in the novel. Each character has a unique personality, making the book engaging.

I have some favorite characters, and I learned something from almost every one of them. I admired how Sam put aside her desire to remain in her shell to assist Harold and Marcie. She embarked on a healing journey from the loss of her husband, and I learned that it's okay to open up to new people, even after being hurt. Sadie was a character I didn't like, but I learned that comparing oneself with others steals joy from her life. I enjoyed Miguel's character, who believed in the ideology of family and never turned his back on his siblings, even though he was not fully supportive of their intentions.

Marcie is my favorite character because of her kindness and compassion. She gave bear hugs that made me wish I were in the novel to receive one. Marcie's light never dimmed, even though she went through the deaths of four different husbands. She encouraged Sam to move on and never hated her children, even though they were against her marriage. Harold was also a cool and funny character who refused to believe that his relationship with Sam had ended when her husband died. He continued to bring her closer to his new family.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. From my likes above, one can tell that I really enjoyed reading it, and I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. Although the book's ending left some things unmentioned, it doesn't diminish my rating. I didn't notice any errors in the book, and it was exceptionally edited.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy reading stories about families and light romance. Although the book might appear lengthy, it is engaging and not at all dull.

Hyphenated Relations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Koziba Gaabadzo 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Koziba Gaabadzo 1 »

It is a good book with no errors

I would rate it *****
santiagorios045 cortes rios

Post by santiagorios045 cortes rios »

El libro es muy bueno y es de mi agrado. se trata de romance y es muy atractivo 5 estrellas
santiagorios045 cortes rios

Post by santiagorios045 cortes rios »

drama, sarcastico muy bueno*
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I would hope that I could keep a relationship with my extended family, if only for my son’s sake. I don’t think that’s the case here, though. Marcie’s loss of her husbands must have been because of accidents, especially since she didn’t lose contact with her children, Sadie included.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

Oh, how I love reading stories such as this novel. I believe we are a result of whatever we feed our brain, ears, and eyes with. Therefore I love reading stories such as this because one gets to learn and unlearn a lot.
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

This is a very detailed and descriptive review. I like Marcie and her character as it could be seen that her character was well developed.
Thanks for sharing your takes on this review
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading the book. There are so many interesting twists and turns in Daly's family. Well-done.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

These stories are usually really touching and one cam only but wonder how people scale through from these kind of situations. It wonderful.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

This book sounds like a family drama. It's been a while since I read one. The type of suspense in family dramas is mild but still intriguing. Great review.
Sarah Kate Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-kate-smith.html
Latest Review: Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S.Lee

Post by Sarah Kate Smith »

From your review, I already like Harold, as he still involved her daughter-in-law Sam in his family despite the death of her husband. And Sadie's character was despicable to me, though I would love to know the reason behind her actions or decision to disrupt her mother's fifth wedding.
Jesse Shon Voyamba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesse-shon-voyamba.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Jesse Shon Voyamba »

Reading the review alone shows the twists and turns accompanying this story. I am optimistic it will make an awesome read to pass away time. I enjoyed reading your review.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

I enjoyed reading this review, though the misfortunes that befell Marcie was something I didn't like. I also liked how she treated her children equally.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This will be an interesting read from your explicitly written review. Why was Marcie’s children so against the marriage? This is a question I’ll love an answer to. Well done!
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

The novel Hyphenated Relations sounds like q beautiful story with so many ups and downs that will keep the reader captivated. Sam seems like an interesting character. Well done.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”