Review of Bag O' Goodies

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Review of Bag O' Goodies

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bag O' Goodies" by Jolly Walker Bittick.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bag O' Goodies by Jolly Walker Bittick is a collection of sixteen beautiful poems and short stories viewing life from diverse perspectives. One of the poems is Cherry Popped Book. In this poem, the author introduces the reader to his body of work and writes about his love for reading and writing, which doubtlessly motivated him to come up with this book.

Another poem in this book is Calvert County Detention. Here, we see a funny and interesting story about a veteran who is jailed and coincidentally cockblocked for driving under the influence. We get a taste of what a life of loneliness feels like. The poem, At the Gate, is also one of my favorites in this work. We see life from the perspective of a Navy officer. We see how he struggles with maintaining his relationship with his girlfriend. The story is also a lesson on the importance of dialogue in settling conflict. Sometimes all we have to do is to relax and listen to each other speak from the heart. This book has a lot of captivating poems and stories. You should read it to know more.

This book had a lot of positive aspects to it, and I loved the way the author came up with something that is, to a great extent, unconventional. He merged poetry and prose in a body of work. For me, this shows tremendous belief in one's ability as a writer. He even went ahead to write a one-lined poem. I also loved the way the book was written in a simple manner for everyone's consumption. This was explained at the end of the work, where the author explained his reason for choosing the title of the work. It is a work showing that there is something for everyone, from poems about the innocence of children to stories about soldiers and psychopathic killers.

There were many beautiful themes espoused in this book, including the importance of dialogue, which proved to be really essential. There is also the theme of love. The importance of dialogue was shown in "At the Gate," where the writer had to engage in dialogue with Ogabe so they could settle their differences amicably. In "Blue Ridge Riders," we are encouraged not to give up on love the same way the writer did not give up on Cindy.

The book had no negative aspects at all from my perspective. The book was well-written, and I found a lesson in almost every poem or story. It was an advantage to learn while enjoying the book. For these reasons, I rate the book five out of five stars. I found no reason to deduct a star from my rating. The book contained no errors.

I'll recommend the book to lovers of prose and poetry.

Bag O' Goodies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prodigy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prodigy5.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prodigy5 »

This is a well-written review. I think that it was explained very well and I cannot wait to read the book so that I can also enjoy it.
Samson Dawari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samson-dawari.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samson Dawari »

This review explained what perspectives the poems were written in. I understand that there are lessons to learn from this book, like the importance of dialogue, I'll love to read the book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”