Review of Attachment Patterns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Attachment Patterns

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Attachment Patterns" by Stephen Metcalfe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Robert Boone is an accomplished artist who has achieved recognition in the American art industry. One day, his mental health takes a turn for the worse when he experiences an episode of anxiety and attempts suicide, leading to his hospitalization. To help him overcome his depression, his daughter Isolde and friend Carter urge him to undergo a 17-day cognitive test. Isolde narrates the story, which takes us on a tumultuous journey of love, friendship, and grief as we witness the emotional struggles faced by both Robert and Isolde. While the book features a real-life character named Robert Boone, it is essential to know that the story is a work of fiction, and not all of the events described in the book may be based on real-life occurrences. To learn more about Robert's fate, check out Stephen Metcalfe's book, Attachment Patterns.

The book had an emotional and poignant tone that resonated with me throughout my reading. Through the story, I learned that Robert was a gentle and kind-hearted person who had experienced significant personal tragedies, leaving him feeling vulnerable and unsure of who to trust. In the cognitive test class, he encountered a diverse group of people who were also grappling with their own mental health issues, and gradually, he began to warm up to them. I appreciated the candid and open conversations that took place in the class as each individual shared their internal struggles. Although Robert remained guarded about his own emotions, I found myself drawn to the bond he formed with Collins. Additionally, I was struck by Robert's innate generosity, despite his outwardly cold demeanor. He never hesitated to lend a helping hand to those in need, which was a truly admirable quality.

I was thoroughly impressed with Stephen Metcalfe's storytelling abilities in the book. Each chapter was organized around a particular day, year, or event, which made for a dynamic and engaging narrative. Despite a slow start to the book, I found myself captivated by the author's writing style and the way the story was narrated by Isolde. The conversations that took place between Robert and the other patients in his cognitive test group were particularly enjoyable, and I was moved by the struggles that Robert faced. It was an important reminder to me that many successful people may conceal their pain behind a façade of happiness. Overall, I found the book to be an emotional and thought-provoking read.

Although I found the book to be an enjoyable read, there was one aspect that I found disappointing. Many of the chapters ended on cliffhangers or with unresolved questions, but the subsequent chapters did not provide a continuation of the story, which left me feeling somewhat unsatisfied and hanging.

Attachment Patterns by Stephen Metcalfe is a fantastic book that deserves a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I must note that the book was not professionally edited, resulting in several grammatical errors and missing punctuation throughout, which could be distracting. Nonetheless, if the book were to receive professional editing, it could potentially earn a complete 5-star rating because it truly is a wonderful read.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy emotionally charged stories. The book provides a pungent commentary on the pervasive issue of mental health in our society today. Anyone seeking closure or strength to fight on in the face of mental health challenges would appreciate the candor and rawness of this book. It's a compelling read that sheds light on the struggles that many people face silently and serves as a source of inspiration and hope.

Attachment Patterns
View: on Bookshelves
Prodigy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prodigy5.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Prodigy5 »

It is important to have good mental health. This review was explained very well, giving no spoilers in the process. This is a well-written review, thank you.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There are lots of times that children are no able or willing to deal with the mental health of their parents. I applaud Isolde for helping.
Mhoreni Kheji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabrina-david.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Mhoreni Kheji »

I would love to read this book to know more. After reading this great review I learned that this book would be a great read.
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Jane Honda »

I feel like there is alot about this book. It sounds technical but look like a book that has a lot of lessons. I wouldn't want to miss out on many fun.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

The fact that the reviewer learned a lot from the book and found the section on stress and anxiety management particularly helpful is fantastic. It's always great when a book can provide readers with practical solutions to real-life problems.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Mental health is important, a little deviation from the normal mental state of mind may result in problems. Thank God Robert Boone didn't commit suicide. I appreciate books that address and create awareness of mental health. I hope he overcomes his mental health challenge.
Tari egai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tari-egai.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Tari egai »

Your mental health is crucial to your overall wellbeing, but sustaining it requires a lot of effort, so it's important to surround yourself with people who care about you and want to see you succeed.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”