Review of The End of May

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Review of The End of May

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The End of May" by Kem Richards.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The End of May by Kem Richards is a compassionate fiction story that describes a lifestyle of abusive relationships, drugs, and prostitution. Marcella Burke moved from Ohio to New York City to start her life; she was to stay with her boyfriend, Luke. A few days after arriving in New York, her best friend, Jessica, visited her. Marcy and Jess went to 230 Fifth, where Marcy met David. They both shared chemistry, and affection began to flow as they chatted. David networked with Marcy to secure a job at Vogue with Mrs. Price. This was the beginning of Marcy's escapades in New York City. Find out in this book what these escapades were and how she fared.

I like the plot development and writing pace. The turn between Marcy and Luke was expected, but I didn't see Rafael Leon coming into the picture either. Maybe because he shared so many traits with her father, but sad enough, she lost her father. Marcella's courage after being denied the job at Vogue was intriguing. She was resolute in proving her worth to Mrs. Price. Courage is the virtue that gave her a second chance. The author is well-detailed in his explanations and provides adequate information to support every incident. I like the author's approach to selecting titles for each chapter; the titles reflect what to expect from the chapter. The story's conclusion is well organized and shows a great deal of rehabilitation.

Although I wouldn't say I liked the event that played out between Marcy and Luke when Abby accompanied her to Luke’s apartment, it is not enough to strike out the story's uniqueness. 

The book was professionally edited and is such an exciting read and I rate it five out of five stars. Marcy made a lot of mistakes, and those choices affected her life and career. Her story is a good read for both young and adult readers. I recommend the book to fiction romance lovers and anyone interested in reading an exciting narrative.

The End of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

It's great to hear that the book is well-edited, and there were no errors that detracted from your reading experience. This is crucial in a book, and I'm glad to know that the author has taken care in this regard.
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

Kem Richards choice of including a title olfor each new chapter is really a brilliant idea. I also commend the way you highlighted your likes about the book. This is a great review!
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

Your enthusiasm for the book spreads quickly. I'm interested in this book because of your enthusiasm for the plot and characters.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Reading that Marcy made a lot of mistakes make this more suitable for young adults who are just starting their lives, so they will know how things would turn out if they make such mistake. Well done!
Jay Alex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, book II: Spring by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Jay Alex »

There are always consequences for every actions taken. I am not a fan of the genre of the book, but I like the fact that it addresses the issue of abuse. Your review well summarized the book. Welldone.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: The Courage of a Butterfly by Edmond E. Frank aka E. Egorhh Frank

Post by Robert Andrew »

The End of May" by Kem Richards is a compassionate fiction story that delves into the challenging and dark aspects of abusive relationships, drugs, and prostitution. The protagonist, Marcella Burke, moves from Ohio to New York City with the intention of starting a new life with her boyfriend, Luke. However, her journey takes a different turn when her best friend, Jessica, visits her in New York. During their visit to a place called 230 Fifth, Marcy encounters David, with whom she shares a deep connection and affection. David helps Marcy secure a job at Vogue through his networking with Mrs. Price, which sets the stage for Marcy's experiences and escapades in the city.
Maltida Jane
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maltida-jane.html
Latest Review: The Second Eve by Bette Boersma

Post by Maltida Jane »

The title of the book is really catchy. It has a nice storyline
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Professor Hex Vs. Texas Men by Melanie Sovran Wolfe

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

Marcella's courage and determination to prove herself after being denied the job at Vogue is admirable. It's always inspiring to see characters who persevere in the face of challenges.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

This book seems to give an enjoyable read about romantic drama and relationship. I hope to enjoy its romantic element and the suspenseful plot.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”