Review of Catch a Falling Star

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Catch a Falling Star

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Catch a Falling Star" by Keith Julius.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Catch a Falling Star by Keith Julius is a book that identifies the struggles of being a drug addict and the ordeals children go through after losing their parents to death or separation. Aleisha is a heroin addict who dabbles in prostitution at times. She's married to Mark and has three children, but two of her children aren't for Mark. After some really terrible choices, Aleisha finally wants to put her life in order for the sake of her children, and she starts taking rehab seriously. The dream of one day being sober with her kids in a healthy family kept her going, but her extended family and her friends didn’t help matters. In this book, we follow her journey through rehab. We also follow her relationship with her immediate family and her friends while she tries to survive her addiction and time in rehab.

This book was such a great read. Time and time again, it captured such sensitive topics in a very gentle manner, not too hard-hitting, but easy enough to follow the slow downward spiral drug addiction could cause a person. Some real emotions were evoked in me while reading this book. I couldn't help but sympathize with Aleisha’s journey. The book was also not too lengthy per chapter, which I greatly appreciated.

I honestly couldn’t find anything inherently wrong with this book or anything I didn’t particularly like. I absolutely loved the book. It captured possible real-life situations for people who seek change in their lives but are met with insurmountable obstacles that could drag a person with even the strongest willpower down. I couldn’t give a negative review even if I tried. It was easily one of the best books I’ve read on the topic of drug addiction. I found a few errors in the book, but it was professionally edited.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The author uses Aleisha to portray the struggles drug addicts have to face and the circumstances that make them fall into the drug wormhole, despite everything they stand to lose. Some important themes portrayed in the book were drug abuse, drug addiction, domestic violence, hate, childhood trauma, and so many more. The different themes made the story feel like a real human experience because it incorporated the imperfection of adulthood and what is required to survive it.

I believe the demographic this book will be most beneficial to is college students because it will help highlight the dangers of drug use and abuse to them. I, therefore, recommend this book to them.

Catch a Falling Star
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

Some people are at the receiving end of our actions. That is why we must mind the things we or the things we say to avoid an unpleasant effect on them.
Shardon Burrell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shardon Burrell »

I never read this book but it must be a good read
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is a young adult novel that follows Aleisha as she faces some of life's biggest obstacles, such as drug addiction and providing for her family. Readers of realistic fiction will appreciate the well-written storyline and authentic characterization of all involved. I've added this to my WTR list! Thank you for the awesome review! :-)
Vivianvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Vivianvicky »

Waaaah! Aleisha had a tough time seriously,but she is a strong hearted lady.Drugs,drugs...so bad indeed.
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell

Post by Ams Strong »

Good review. I have read multiple stories about drug addiction and the struggles of rehab. I have no doubt this one is also touching. However, dealing with addiction and raising a family seems particularly challenging. People need to share their experiences of how they overcame their addictions. This would be helpful to people in similar situations.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 85444
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1302%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

The author has done a commendable work of showcasing the life of an addicted person with respect to everyone surrounding them we all know how bad drugs can get toll of a person mentally the character and their dialogue are extremely legit the casa chronic volume (1) remain in the heart so many lessions and emotion as you enjoy reading the life of Beverly who is a CASA..
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Catch a Falling Star seems like a poignant exploration of the harrowing world of drug addiction and its impact on families. Aleisha's journey through rehab promises a compelling narrative that's both raw and heartwarming.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

The subject matter of this book may be hard-hitting, but it is not what I choose to read about in my leisure time. This is one book that I shall give a miss.
Marwa252688
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Marwa252688 »

Aleisha Turner was young and attractive, a mother of three beautiful children.Aleisha was also a heroin addict.An overdose sends the young woman's life into turmoil when her children are taken away from her. She finds herself in a Rehab center, the first step in what will prove to be a difficult recovery. She faces a long road ahead to restore normalcy to her life and bring her family back together.Beverly Stone works as a Court Appointed Special Advocate. Her responsibility is to see that Aleisha's children are living in a healthy environment conducive to their welfare, while encouraging their mother to break the deadly habit that has come to monopolize her life. Along the way Beverly muse delve deeper and deeper into a world she could have never imagined, experiencing life from the perspective of the forgotten people who reside in inner city America.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

This book tackles so many sensitive topics and I want to see how Aleisha will put her life in order. Thanks for the amazing review.
KIrAN RAJpUT---
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-ilyas.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by KIrAN RAJpUT--- »

Aleisha and her struggles at a young age and her whole journey through rehab and getting back to her kids are somewhat worth reading.
Engy Nabil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Engy Nabil »

This book tackles important issues as how an addict's mind works and the choices they make and how they justify them. Good read.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Addiction of any kind is not an easy feat. I appreciate the powerful message and influential theme throughout the book. I always enjoy a comeback story. I can’t wait to finish the book. Thank you for writing a captivating review!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Lots of people have problems that they don’t deal with well. Aleisha’s struggle seems to talk about what many of us go through. It’s sometimes intimidating to others when the one with an addiction tries to better themselves. Congratulations on BOTD!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”