Review of Subtle Sublimity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of Subtle Sublimity

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Subtle Sublimity" by Debra Bowman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Subtle Sublimity: The Magic of Fantastical Tactics is a fantasy-fiction book by Debra Bowman. It is divided into six parts that follow Addison Dialessby, a sixty-year-old woman who is faced with a terrible situation, and how she deals with it using some rather powerful fantastical tools of self-analysis.

As the book enters its first part, we are introduced to our protagonist, Addison or Addie, who is the first of four children born to a misogynistic father and a narcissistic mother. It is not exactly the recipe for a healthy family, and right off the bat, Addie has to deal with a lot of abuse. We fast forward to shortly after she turns sixty, and Addie is hit with the dreadful news of her wrongful firing. Faced with the perplexing question, "What now?" Addie employs her analytic tools, which consist of fantastical elements, to help consider her situation and perhaps find a path forward. However, on Addie's road forward, what trauma will she find from her past? Is there truly a path that leads to happiness and fulfillment for her? Find out in this inspiring book.

There is quite a lot I like about this book. What I liked most was how relatable I found the characters. Addie's problems feel so real and common in today's world that it is difficult to consider her a fictional character. There are a lot of people in the business world that have been in very similar situations. Even on the family front, growing up with those kinds of parents is something a lot of people can relate to.

I also found the intensity put into the analysis of situations to be impressive. Addie is willing to go through rather painful details of her experiences, to deal with the issue she is faced with thoroughly, and to be properly prepared when negativity rises again. I also appreciated the author's clever use of fantasy in real-life situations. It was executed in a way that each of its basic principles seems applicable in real life. I appreciated the author's honesty in expressing what has to be her real emotions through these characters. Overall, it was a great read, one that inspires hope and triumph through very relatable adversity.

My first issue with this book is the nature of the book cover. If I had depended on the cover alone, I may not have decided to read this wonderful book. Also, this book leans heavily on fantasy-based metaphors, which may present a bit of a challenge for some readers. For instance, while I have no issues understanding how "Pleasoragrins" could simply mean looking for positive takeaways from a situation, this metaphor may go over some readers' heads.

I found no errors in the book. Therefore, this book was exceptionally well edited. Consequently, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I found the book unique and inspiring. I was completely satisfied with the book, and as a result, I could not rate it any lower. I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy books and avid readers searching for hope.

Subtle Sublimity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tabark alaamry
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tabark alaamry »

Very good
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishacleve.html
Latest Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Post by TrishaCleve »

Thank you for your review. An hour ago, I would have not picked this one up to read. My thoughts on the subject have changed; I would imagine that I am not be the only person in this situation. I am compelled to read this one now; I imagine that there will be other OBC members that feel as I do.
I believe that everyone needs hope in their lives. This book will now be placed in my OBC Bookshelves, so that I can read it to find a glimer of that magical substance.
Again, thank you. I appreciate this illuminative review.
:techie-reference:
Trisha Lee
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m still not sure that this is the book for me. I am closer to picking it up than I would have been by just looking at it. I have, though, learned to trust the opinions of other OBC reviewers.
Geofrey Kebira
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geofrey-kebira.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady

Post by Geofrey Kebira »

It's seems like old Addie went through a lot of childhood traumas. Those scar you for life. Amaizing review.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

The front cover is not particularly attractive. It is filled with a lot of tedium. I would have kept Subtle Sublimity on the not-to-read shelf if I hadn't had the opportunity to stumble across this review. My interest was not even piqued by the book's title.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”