Review of Chosen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Chosen

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chosen" by Charles de Andrade.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Chosen by Charles de Andrade is the first book in the Steward series. The novel tells the story of 21-year-old Glenn Hitch, an American Marine sergeant fighting in the Vietnam War. Initially designed as a piece of historical fiction, the story acquires mystical dimensions due to the references to a much greater war of which mankind is almost unaware. A promoter of the Roman Catholic faith, the author uses the verses in Ephesians 6:12-13 to add an extra layer of meaning to the protagonist’s exploits.

When he goes to Vietnam, Glenn has no idea that his life will change unpredictably. At Colonel William Fellson’s order, his platoon is to reinforce the South Vietnamese regiments’ push and capture Chinh Lee, the commander of four battalions of North Vietnamese troops. The ensuing battle takes place near one of the few remaining French orphanages, which houses some of the many children displaced during the war. At the orphanage, Glenn meets the young novice Mylinh, whose beauty and kindness touch his heart forever. Unfortunately, he soon discovers that Mylinh is also Chinh’s sister. Will Glenn and Mylinh survive the horrors of war and have a life together?

Whether you read the paperback or Kindle version or listen to the audiobook, you are in for an exhilarating ride. Suggestively entitled, each chapter closely follows the characters and focuses on a significant moment in the development of the plot. The third-person narrator effortlessly moves back and forth in time to reveal more about the characters’ background stories and explain their decisions and evolution. In this way, we understand Chinh’s thirst for revenge against those responsible for the death of his parents or Colonel Fellson’s drive to return to his wife and daughter.

Charles de Andrade does an excellent job of developing the various narrative threads. He relies more on aspects of war tactics and strategies rather than mere descriptions of some gore scenes. However, the author does not shy away from laying bare the disastrous consequences of war on ordinary people. What I liked most about the novel is the way the writer gradually inserts the supernatural elements to the extent that, in the end, we readily accept the presence of divine beings or miraculous happenings as an intrinsic part of the narration. Even if the characters mainly fall under the good versus evil dichotomy, some still oscillate between light and darkness.

Considering all of the above, Chosen by Charles de Andrade deserves 5 out of 5 stars. There was nothing I particularly disliked about it. I listened to the audio version while reading the text, so I can vouch for the lack of editing errors. I found only eight minor typos and punctuation mistakes. I recommend the book to readers interested in the Vietnam War and those who like metaphysical novels with religious references. Last but not least, the author delivers a strong message about the futility of war and the need to reconsider our actions for a better future for all humanity. The open ending leaves the readers wondering what will happen to the characters in the sequel.

Chosen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Siyanda Thabiso
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Siyanda Thabiso »

It was great
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

The way different authors have talked and written about the Vietnam War, I do not pray it is experienced again. Nice review!
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

I like how the author seamlessly blends historical fiction with mystical elements. It is truly impressive, and I appreciate how he portrays the disastrous consequences of war on ordinary people without resorting to gratuitous violence.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

War is meant for animals. How can people intelligent enough fail to use proper communication to come to an understanding of disagreements they have? The author sure did a good job of delivering a message that is worth considering by nations, communities, and individuals.
Afsha Fatima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Afsha Fatima »

I love the thriller stories and the author has done the great job and the better and bigger the "picture" you give us the better we can judge what book will be good for our particular tastes. Thanks for the extra effort i personally LOVED it and hope to see many of other stories like this it was one of the best thrillers ever!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”