Review of Healing Visions

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of Healing Visions

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing Visions" by Meg Boscov.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Healing Visions: An Anthology of Micro Prose and Fine Art Photography by Meg Boscov is a photo-story book with great illustrations by the author, who is an award-winning fine art photographer. The photographs are by Meg Boscov, but the writings are by fifty-two international writers. Some of the writings are fiction, and some aren’t. The first story is Meg Boscov’s true story about when she experienced fibromyalgia. A feeling that you are in pain, but there is no visible cause of the pain, yet the pain is there. She went through an MRI and X-rays, but it wasn’t seen, yet the pain was there. This story is accompanied by a skeletal image of her wrist and fingers, where she felt the pain. After this, there are many other beautiful photos and stories.

This was an interesting read for me. The beginning was very insightful; I got to learn something new. I know people who have experienced fibromyalgia, and I can tell it’s very frustrating. Reading about it was insightful. The pictures were beautiful; this book should not have taken long to get through, but it did because I got stuck on the pictures and took each photograph in before moving to the next. Meg is an amazing photographer, and I was inspired by her pictures and her skilful photography. Some of the stories shed a lot of light on the pictures by telling stories about them, making the pictures come to life.

This was my first photo-story read, and while it was an adventure for me, I can’t say it didn’t have its downsides. Some of the stories did not relate to the pictures in any way. While I could read some of the stories and understand the pictures better, some were too abstract. Aside from this, I had a great read. The writings were almost poetic with the writers’ choice of words; they were sweet to my ears when I read them out loud.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. While most of the stories aligned with the pictures, some did not, as stated earlier, and this is why I have taken a star off my rating for this book. I couldn’t even understand how some of the stories concerned the picture, and this displeased me. The photos were beautifully arranged with the stories, and it was nice reading stories from different writers all in one book. The book was perfectly edited; I did not find any errors in it.

I would recommend this book to lovers of photography. Whether you are a photographer or you just love photography, you will love this book as it will inspire you with its amazing pictures, and you will have fun going through them. If you love photo-stories, you will also enjoy reading this book.

Healing Visions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that I would be interested in the photographs, but not so much in the writings.Since they didn’t all go together, I think that I would have been very confused. I don’t do well with anything abstract.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Your review of Healing Visions was incredibly informative. The way you described Meg Boscov's tale of fibromyalgia was articulate and gave me a better understanding of the condition. I could picture how beautiful and captivating the photographs and stories were, based on your description of them. Additionally, discovering an award-winning fine art photographer was a plus, and I am glad you were inspired by the stunning images. Your transparency on the book's drawbacks did not deter you from highlighting the positives, which is admirable. The poetic expressions and sweet choice of words by the writers was a lovely touch. The rating you gave the book was well-deserved, and you explained the reasons behind the four stars, which helped me understand your thoughts. I appreciate your recommendation for photography lovers and photo-story enthusiasts, and I am looking forward to reading more of your reviews.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Your review has definitely piqued my interest in the book, and I look forward to reading it soon.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”