Review of Island of Redemption

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Island of Redemption

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Island of Redemption" by Chris Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“If I’m still here, then God isn’t done with me yet.”

The above quote is the central dogma of the novel Island of Redemption written by Chris Reynolds. Loosely based on some real-life events, it follows the fictional character Mark Lambert. Lost at sea and then stranded on an island in the middle of nowhere, Mark seems to have drawn the shortest stick in the universe. Using his wit and the scarce supplies provided by what he fondly dubs Lambert Island, he manages to eke out a living all by his lonesome. Years pass, and a mysterious visitor appears with no explanation. Desperate to maintain contact with the only person he’s seen in nearly forever, Mark follows Angel’s rules and does not pry any more than necessary. Their companionship is marked by lookbacks at how he’s lived his life up until that point and what he understands about God and his faith. Forced into introspective isolation without the distractions of civilization and only a wise Angel and his Bible for company, Mark undergoes a redemptive process that gives rise to the title of the book.

Before getting into the bare bones of the book, I should first mention how the content might affect different groups of people. This is a Christianity-based book, showing how one man came to learn about God and accept him. There were some frequent instances of profane content and several sexual descriptions that might put off this group in the initial phases of the book, however. I advise interested readers to stick through this, as not only does Chris Reynolds forewarn readers and apologize for them, but the use of these elements is a necessary evil. Readers will be able to compare Mark’s past self with his new and improved mindset and character, which is something that I could do in my own reading experience and that I appreciated. Drug use crops up, though it’s minor and its consumption is inadvertent and understandable in the case it is depicted.

The next order of business relates to the editing quality of the book. It was well written, favouring fragmented sentences that I assumed were a matter of the author’s style choice and mostly used for emphasis. That didn’t preclude it from having multiple objective errors, however. I noticed enough that I doubt that the book was thoroughly and professionally edited.

The book can be thought of as a two-part story. The first half is Mark’s redemption arc, seeing him mostly on the titular island, where he stayed for nearly a decade. This is where Mark’s character develops layer by layer, so I have no complaints about his multi-dimensionality. We get to witness the birth of his faith, his discarding of old prejudices and misconceptions, and how he held tight to an optimistic outlook for the future despite his bleak circumstances. I admired how he persevered throughout everything that happened to him. How Reynolds dealt with his assimilation back into society was somewhat sketchy on the details, but I found it credible, for the most part. The next section of the book deals with his leaving the island and what he does with what he has learned.

I loved the mystery of one individual in particular. Angel plays an instrumental role in Mark’s redemption. One of the subtler aspects tied to her character was how what she wore reflected Mark’s mental progression. It also indicated the deepening of their relationship to companions—or even best friends—from his more lustful thoughts about her in the beginning.

Core concepts unravelled in the book by Reynolds, through Mark, include the Holy Trinity, the concept of Heaven and Hell, the implications and consequences of free will, and more. The byplay between Mark and another key character drew this out so it can be broken down for non-believers without sounding didactic. Using Mark’s own personal experiences made it feel more natural.

It’s no wonder then, that with all Island of Redemption has to offer, my chosen rating is four out of five stars. I only spotted one negative, which was the number of errors, accounting for the removal of one star. The four stars are simply a reflection of the many positives I discovered during my read.

The recommended audience for this book is wide and varied. It suits Christian readers interested in redemption stories. Island of Redemption incorporates theological elements with some historical, romantic, and familial themes. I do think the length and the heavy subject material would make more mature readers gravitate towards it, as well.

Island of Redemption
View: on Bookshelves
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

I love how detailed your review is and I believe that this a great book worth reading.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”