Review of Asterisk 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Review of Asterisk 2

Post by José Cortez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Asterisk 2" by Booth Milovnik.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Asterisk 2 is part of a series in which Booth Milovnik tells how a man raised a child, Charlie, with whom he shares no biological relation. Charlie finds out after confronting his mother, and all hell breaks loose. He feels that he has been lied to and cheated on for fourteen years and develops an intense hatred for Gabriel, his stepdad, wanting to have nothing to do with him ever again. Meanwhile, Matthew, his biological father, discovers that he has been unfairly separated from his son and wants to get back lost time.

There are a few positive aspects of the book. First, the book is written in simple and understandable language. Second, the author correctly represented the queer community through the characters of Todd and Kevin, not making them appear too saintly or too evil, as some other authors may do.

There are several negative aspects of the book. First, I think the story became watery when Amy discovered her biological father. In this single story, about three sets of characters discovered their biological fathers. Second, I understand that this book is just one in a series, but then, how the author left certain essential details out is undesirable. There is little to no explanation of how the story traveled from sometime in 2027 to 2040. What happened in between this period? The narration in the final chapter is not even enough to account for what must have occurred in this period. I understand that the author may want to use the period in between to develop another book in the series, but I believe there could have been a better way of ending this particular book. There are only a few errors in the book. This shows that the book was professionally edited.

Next, the use of futuristic years in the story is not appealing. This is 2023, and the author used years up to 2040 in the book. Meanwhile, the book is not science fiction. As an aside, I feel the author failed to consider that there may be an occurrence in those future years that may affect the storyline. For example, in the story, COVID-19 affected most of the characters. So, is it not possible that in the future, there may be a major global event that the author would have deemed worthy of incorporating into the story if he was to work with those years? For instance, imagine if the author had written a story situated in 2020 without talking about the outbreak of COVID-19 and the resultant sit-at-home and had probably talked about how the characters were going to work, clubbing, partying, visiting, and all that throughout the year. It would not be believable, certainly. The author would have used periods before this year to make the story believable.

Also, some of the characters are way younger than the thoughts, feelings, and experiences attributed to them in the book. For example, Alice appears to be a nice character, but her character does not befit an eleven-year-old. Again, the author employs flashbacks in the book, making the entire story watery. Because of the excessive use of this tool, the book lacked description, and the author only told a story rather than described a story.

Due to the negatives already identified, I will rate the book three out of five stars. I did not rate the book lower due to the positive aspects I found. I recommend this book to all parents raising children they are not biologically connected to and to anyone who loves the concept of family.

Asterisk 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The negatives in the book are neatly described and it seems there are many gaps in the storyline which needed to be filled. Still, i liked the review.
Aadarsh Mishra 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aadarsh-mishra-1.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Aadarsh Mishra 1 »

Booth Milovniks science fiction novel "Asterisk 2" offers readers an immersive reading experience through a fascinating plot dealing with themes such as identity, technology, and morality. The story follows individuals who have proactively digitized themselves in a virtual world - Asterisk- where they can construct alternate realities limited only by their imaginations' boundaries. However as we move further along in this stimulating read the characters discover that this virtual reality exists within our universe with its consequences for actions carried out within it have real world consequences.

What I appreciated most about Milovniks writing was how he explored ethical implications that technology brings when people can effectively construct alternate realities too strongly influenced by personal bias: what are the possible negative outcomes? These are questions raised throughout the book concerning human nature shaping future outcomes in complex societies with rapidly evolving technologies at play considered from different angles of reflection for readers to ponder once finished with it all.
Overall My evaluation is that "Asterisk 2" should receive a score of 4.5 based on its overall worthiness.

Although there may be moments when its pace falters slightly the books robust qualities make up for it adequately and then some. It will undoubtedly provoke deep thought amongst readers even upon finishing it completely.
Aadarsh Mishra 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aadarsh-mishra-1.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Aadarsh Mishra 1 »

"Asterisk 2" offers readers an immersive reading experience through a fascinating plot dealing with themes such as identity, technology, and morality. The story follows individuals who have proactively digitized themselves in a virtual world - Asterisk- where they can construct alternate realities limited only by their imaginations' boundaries. However as we move further along in this stimulating read the characters discover that this virtual reality exists within our universe with its consequences for actions carried out within it have real world consequences.
What I appreciated most about Milovniks writing was how he explored ethical implications that technology brings when people can effectively construct alternate realities too strongly influenced by personal bias: what are the possible negative outcomes? These are questions raised throughout the book concerning human nature shaping future outcomes in complex societies with rapidly evolving technologies at play considered from different angles of reflection for readers to ponder once finished with it all.
Overall My evaluation is that "Asterisk 2" should receive a score of 4.5 based on its overall worthiness.
Although there may be moments when its pace falters slightly the books robust qualities make up for it adequately and then some. It will undoubtedly provoke deep thought amongst readers even upon finishing it completely.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”