Review of Seeds of Bliss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Review of Seeds of Bliss

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seeds of Bliss" by J. Andrew Rice.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Seeds of Bliss by J. Andrew Rice, Scott Mitchum was the Mayor of Lyric, Texas, and he also owned an engineering firm called Mitchum Engineering. Scott had just buried his good friend, Robert Ward, who had been there for him since his father died. In addition to the loss of his friend, Scott had a disturbing case on his hands. Amy Breeden, the teenage daughter of his long-time friend, Mary Jo Breeden, was missing, alongside an acquaintance of hers, Buddy Parker. The town's police chief, Jesse Henderson, was working with Scott to resolve the matter. Scott had to confront the case's political interests and his affiliations with the victim's parents. As the case unfolded, the town of Lyric faced greater tragedies than they had ever witnessed. Deeper conspiracies were revealed, leaving the question of whether the small town and its people would survive the storm coming their way.

This book was rendered in a simple and easy-to-understand language. The story commenced on a note of intrigue. Rice introduced us to a country town and two tragedies, building curiosity to keep readers reading until the end. The intrigue and suspense were heightened when the story became a puzzle of schemes and conspiracies, adding even more excitement to the book.

Many of the characters were the primary reason this book was a great read. A character like Scott, the Mayor of Lyric, was an inspirational character that would motivate readers to be better individuals. The character of Megan, the daughter of John Marsh, Lyric's congressman, was also admirable. She endeared with her boldness and fearlessness in refusing to allow other people to define her narrative. Also, Mary Jo's genuine kindness would touch readers' hearts.

The story in Seeds of Bliss got emotional in some places as the plot unfolded. The emotions mainly came from seeing the characters experience devastating circumstances. This book told such an intense story about love, kindness, and community in such a way that it could move one to tears. The love showcased was founded on the pure love of God. This aspect of the book was reminiscent of a similar aura in Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Scott's character and deep faith in God also mirrored Michael's character in Rivers' novel. There was a spiritual side to this book that stirred my spirit. The author's narration of his character's relationship with God and their trust in him also produced a calming yet tumultuous desire to share in the character's experiences.

Beyond the intrigue, suspense, and exciting conspiracies this book provided, it subtly addressed specific controversial issues of society and religion. It subtly addressed the freedom of religious expression in institutions of learning. Rice even touched on the delicate issue of women's right to abortion.

Seeds of Bliss left a gentle and warm aftertaste. It was an entertaining and reflective piece of writing. The book was professionally edited. However, I didn't particularly appreciate how Joe Bob's name was misspelled. In several places, it appeared as "Job Bob." It could be an oversight from the editor, but I'd recommend a revision to fix this misspelling. I'd recommend Seeds of Bliss to lovers of stories about love, community, and God. As a result of the misspelling of a character's name severally, I'd rate this book four out of five stars.

Seeds of Bliss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your insightful and thoughtful review Your review detailed the author's writing style, the well-developed characters, and the emotional depth of the story. I appreciate your honesty in discussing the misspelling of a character's name and the suggestion for revision. Your review is well-balanced, highlighting both the strengths and areas for improvement, making it informative and helpful. I am also pleased that you pointed out that the book subtly addresses controversial issues, making it a great read for those who enjoy books that dive deeper into society and religion. Overall, your review has given me a better understanding of Seeds of Bliss and made me eager to pick up the book. Thank you again for your wonderful review!
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

This book sounds as though it's laced with twists and turns at every corner! Not just that though, it also sounds as though it'd warm my heart as much as it did yours. I get so attached to characters in a literary piece, and so when they're deeply troubled, I share in it as well. Nice review.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”