Review of From The Biggest Book of Bible Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Review of From The Biggest Book of Bible Stories

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From The Biggest Book of Bible Stories" by Devery McDowell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

From the Biggest Book of Bible Stories by Devery McDowell is an illustrated compilation of selected stories from the Bible written in a concise and lyrical form. The stories that can be found here are: "The Widow's Mite," "The First Christmas Present," "The Fiery Furnace," "Jesus and the Little Children," "Noah's Ark," "Jesus Walks On Water," and "The Good King Hezekiah." These are classic and often commonly mentioned Bible stories that are known even to non-Christians. The purpose of each story is to send an important message to the readers, usually a religious one, indicating the significance of faith in God and Jesus Christ. Thus, for example, in the story "Noah's Ark", it is shown how God flooded the earth because the world was ruled by sin, and He instructed Noah to build a large ark. In it, Noah placed a pair of every kind of living creature, male and female. With that, a new era began after the earth was cleansed of evil.

Considering that all the stories are written in simple language and somewhat lyrical verse with rhyme, I believe that they would appeal to most children and those who might want to recall potentially the most meaningful stories from the Bible. Therefore, my primary recommendation for this book is to them.

What I like most about this book is its composition. I appreciate the selection of stories, and I think that for every reader, there is at least one that could appeal to or significantly influence them. This book is intended for Christians, but anyone else can read it freely, especially if they are interested in biblical topics. In addition, the stories are easy and quick to read and seem like longer poems. In addition, each story is accompanied by an illustration that adequately depicts the described events. The story about Noah and the Ark is my favourite, but I also like the story about Jesus and his love for children.

As for some negative aspects, I would primarily emphasize the imbalance between the stories. It seems that some are much longer than others. Likewise, I noticed that some sentences were interrupted at the bottom of the page and were not adequately completed. Illustrations also occasionally abruptly interrupt the flow of stories. In addition, I detected some errors, so I think it would be desirable for the book to be carefully checked by the editor.

As for the rating, I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. I think this book deserves a golden mean in terms of rating, and that is my overall subjective impression. The main reasons for this rating are related to the errors I think could have been avoided and the possibility of a better balance of text and images. Correspondingly, I would have preferred the illustrations to have been more original and authentic, for example, drawn by hand or with some other technique.

From The Biggest Book of Bible Stories
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for your insightful review of "From the Biggest Book of Bible Stories" by Devery McDowell! I appreciate your emphasis on the selection of stories, making it appealing to both children and those interested in biblical topics. It's great that the stories are written in a simple and lyrical form, making them easy to read and remember. I agree with your recommendation for this book, especially for those who want to recall the meaningful stories from the Bible.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

Any book that get the Biblical topics and stories right is definitely not a one to pass. Hope this one has the clarity which is lacking in some of the other books. The review is on point regarding the negative aspects, and I appreciate you for the same.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Yes, this book would be perfect for kids. They'd find it fun, engaging, and enlightening. I feel as though, I too can read the book despite its recommendation, because lessons on the importance of faith in God can never be too redundant to me. I could happily read the lines of a biblical story over and over again, still having the same feelings of interest and complacency as I did in the beginning. Nice review.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”