Review of Unseen Lives

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Unseen Lives

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unseen Lives" by James Cornell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

U​nseen Lives follows the story of Alice, a young mother of three small children, who is trying her best to provide for her family in spite of a support system that seems to want her to fail. Her story intersects with another victim, Bobby, who spent years in foster care, and he just can't manage to overcome that stigma.

J​ames Cornell, the author, had a 35-year career in social service. This book, although fictional, exposes the difficulties for families as they struggle to keep their dignity. The scenarios might seem unbelievable, but they are based on actual incidents. Cornell wrote the book to educate people, who have never actually known anyone who was miserably poor, about the level of desperation these people experience.

The twenty-six chapters alternate between seven different characters. Each chapter is titled with the name of that person, so keeping track is easy. The book contains 115 pages, it is listed as a novella, and the simple writing style is easy to read. One character, Danielle, is a caseworker; through this story, we experience her frustration and helplessness as she tries to get aid for her clients.

T​he book opens with a preface that is depressing, but it is also somewhat hopeful. The book ends with an afterword. Cornell explains the difference between a non-literary ending and a literary one. The author hopes that everyone will have the ability to meet the challenges that life puts before them.

I admired the strength of the character of Alice. I was touched by the compassion of the character of Larry. I learned that many people could be just a paycheck away from being in the same situation as the characters in this book. Cornell has given insight into the lives of these unseen people. In addition, he is giving all proceeds of his book to help children in need. Plus, he is offering a money-back guarantee if you don't like the book. I doubt that the author will be refunding any money because there is nothing that I did not like, and I am sure that will be true for others as well. I found no reason to rate this any lower than five out of five stars.

Unseen Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
giresse zanzala
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by giresse zanzala »

Teenaged Bobby Bennett has been in and out of foster care much of his life. On his own now, his ADHD causes him to make poor decisions. With no one to guide or support him, he bears the consequences of his guileless impulsivity.
I recommend this book for people who want to laugh.
3/5
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

A support system that does a terrible job supporting and plots your downfall instead is probably made up of extremely toxic people. I love that the author was able to enlighten readers on life through the eyes of poor people. To be frank, being them won't ever be easy, they struggle so much for a single meal, it's sometimes shocking to me how some still remain positive and tenacious.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”