Review of The Life That Follows

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Review of The Life That Follows

Post by Helen Akoth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life That Follows" by David Hartshorn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Life That Follows is a novel by David Hartshorn. It follows the post-retirement life of a 63-year-old former attorney, Owen, who is also recently widowed. Grieving and lonely, he now fills his time by raising his dog, hanging out with his longtime friends, and volunteering to chauffeur needy patients to their medical appointments. However, deep down in his heart, Owen still harbors great grief and agony over his wife's sudden death—he hasn't moved on yet and misses her dearly. Something different crops up, though. A few years ago, while shopping for his drinks, he witnessed a deadly shootout, where an allegedly innocent boy was shot by a police officer and succumbed to the bullet wound. As the only person who saw the whole incident, he was asked to be a witness, to which he agreed. His testimony is important, as it will greatly influence the final verdict. How will it be?

There were several things I liked about this book. This novel has different subplots, and first, I liked that they were well-arranged. At each juncture, there was a mission to be achieved, and this kept me glued as I waited to uncover how the events would play out. Most of the events were unexpected, cleverly arranged, and designed to help Owen better his formerly grief-stricken life and those of people who were in similar situations. Second, I liked the camaraderie between Owen and his friends. I looked forward to their lively banter and traditions, which proved to be handy, not on one but several occasions. Third, I liked how well the author developed and portrayed the characters. They were diverse and distinct in terms of personalities, for instance, dialogue styles, making them relatable. And lastly, I liked the ending. It was satisfactorily done, tying the loose ends. No significant question was left unanswered.

What I liked most about this book were the themes it touched on and the several life lessons it contained. The central theme is grief, and we follow the protagonist's life as he tries to move from a past loss or trauma. Owen's journey is similar to those of other characters in the story, and the novel contains several life lessons by the characters concerning healing after loss. As life traumas are inevitable, readers will have a lot to learn from their experiences.

Overall, I didn't find anything to dislike about this book. Errors were hard to come by, and I found only a few minor ones, making me believe it was professionally edited. Therefore, I am glad to give The Life That Follows by David Hartshorn a perfect score of five out of five stars. This well-executed novel is laden with several life lessons and will make readers reflect on their lives.

I highly recommend this book to fans of well-written novels full of life lessons. Readers who like stories involving courthouse sessions will also appreciate it. I immensely enjoyed this book and couldn't think of anything to make me caution anyone against it. I am glad I discovered David Hartshorn, and I look forward to reading more of his books.

The Life That Follows
View: on Bookshelves
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Chris Agbara »

Thank you for this insightful review. You have highlighted the aspects of the book that make it a compelling read. I especially appreciate how you discussed the themes and life lessons that the book offers. I am interested in learning how Owen and the other characters cope with their grief and trauma. I will definitely get a copy of The Life That Follows.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Affliction: Growing Up With a Closeted Gay Dad by Laura Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

A very nice review. You gave us a lot to ponder without giving any spoilers.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I felt pity for the boy. I hope he will be given justice by Owen's testimony. I like the book's narrative and the life lessons it brings. Thank you for your lovely review, Helen.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The review was pretty detailed and insightful. Owen and his life is a subject that should definitely read. Further, as mentioned, perfectly planted sub-plots help in moving the strory forward.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

I feel as though, when one is old is when one would need their spouse the most. Owen's almost incurable grief is thus, somewhat understandable. I hope the little boy that was shot gets justice though. Since I don't plan on reading this book, I can actually only hope. The book's central theme and plot weren't gotten from just Owen's relay of his own point of view I believe.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”