Review of Remembering What I Forgot

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Remembering What I Forgot

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Remembering What I Forgot" by K. Allen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Remembering What I Forgot is a profound and illuminating book that gives clear insight into what it feels like to work in the memory unit of a nursing home. This book by K. Allen provides new perspectives into the challenges and experiences of caring for individuals with dementia and behavioural issues. K. Allen’s observations and reflections offer valuable insights into the complexities of caregiving and the emotional toll it can take on the caregiver. Each chapter sheds light on the realities of caring for patients with Alzheimer's disease, dementia, and other memory-altering conditions.

Remembering What I Forgot reveals the intricacies and nuances of working in a care facility, including the challenges of administering medications, dealing with disruptive residents, and managing interpersonal dynamics among the staff. This book provides a glimpse into the daily realities of being a nurse and the dedication required to provide quality care. Throughout the chapters, these nurses encounter different residents with unique needs and form connections with them.

What I like about this book is the author’s passion for his job. One could tell from reading through this book that he was a dedicated and passionate nurse. It’s always amazing to see people who love what they do, especially when it comes to caregiving roles. Patients and sick people are quite sensitive and delicate with their emotions and should be treated carefully. I also like the author’s precision in storytelling and the inclusion of stories to make for a more interesting read. The fact that the book was professionally edited further proved its quality.

'Were the events true?' 'Is the author the protagonist?' I found myself regurgitating those questions and a few others as I read this book because I wasn't quite sure what the answers were. Going back to read the introductory chapter answered some of the questions, but the point was that the author did not incorporate anything about his identity in the book asides from his role in the care unit, which left me feeling unsatisfied and curious. However, the overall compilation of the book and stories was great. 

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The questions I had while reading the book didn't form concrete enough reasons to make me deduct a star from it. A book like this that gives a broad perspective on caregiving from a nurse’s standpoint is a new experience for me and a great one at that.

I recommend Remembering What I Forgot to anyone interested in gaining insight into the experiences and challenges of working in the memory unit of a nursing home. It offers valuable perspectives and reflections that can enhance empathy towards individuals with cognitive impairments.

Remembering What I Forgot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

What I have learned about dealing with these sufferers, is that it involves a very delicate balance. When these patients are sweet, they are very sweet. It’ hard to imagine trying to work with them while trying to involve co-workers as well.
Kigen Valarie
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I'd love to work in such a department and that makes me admire this book. The plot seems engaging too.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

It could be frustrating handling demented individuals and individuals with behavioral disorders. The ability of the author such an overlooked setting and concept is commendable. I can imagine how much the nurses, staff, and caregivers in such facilities struggle to keep their patients happy. It's nice to think about, especially when the staff enjoy their work.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”