Review of A Man Like You and Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Review of A Man Like You and Me

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Man Like You and Me" by Paul Joel.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Thirty-seven years after the Second World War, physician James Paul arrived in Munich, Germany, for a European vacation. Going in and out of cathedrals, coffee shops, and restaurants, Paul shares his sentiments about religion and current socio-political issues. A mix between a travel diary and a memoir, A Man Like You And Me by Paul Joel sheds light on the author's true-to-life travels and life experiences. 

As I started reading this book, I struggled to understand what it was all about. James Paul, the primary persona of the narrative, arrived in Germany to kick off an exciting European trip. The confusion began when the author started digressing a lot from the main narrative by sharing his critique of social and religious topics. The character serves as a mouthpiece for the author's controversial opinions. There were so many paragraphs dedicated to these that one would start wondering about their relevance to the main subject of the book. The narrative goes back and forth between Paul's experiences in the past and his present travels, rendering me confused at times with the rocky transitions. 

The writing style appears to be that of a diary entry. It is straightforward, like how one would write a memoir or a travelogue. Except for a few changes in the narrative, the book is nonfiction material reflecting the author's real-life experiences. 

I admit that I find some of the author's arguments agreeable. He made some excellent points concerning his scrutiny of Christian belief. What I like the most about the book is that it continuously raises questions about religious and political topics. 

My rating for A Man Like You And Me would be 2 out of 5 stars. I deducted points because, while I appreciate the thought-provoking nature of the book and the exceptionally flawless editing, the writing is lacking in terms of objective literary merit. There seems to be a lack of coherence in the flow of the narrative, as the author has a tendency to digress a lot from his main point. If you don't mind the said issues and you're looking for a short, thought-provoking piece to kill time, then you might want to try this book.

A Man Like You and Me
View: on Bookshelves
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

I'll pass on this book because it doesn't seem like one that'll impress me. Great review by the way.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

So from what I was able to grasp from this review, all the writer did was critique social, political, and religious views without actually putting a story behind it. If that's the case, then it really does lack literary merit and must've been difficult to read even. Thanks for the honest review.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”