Review of A Decade Aborning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Review of A Decade Aborning

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Decade Aborning" by Keith Julius.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It's not often that books bring us into the world of troubled youth and the dedicated volunteers who work tirelessly to help them. A Decade Aborning: The CASA Chronicles - Volume 4 by Keith Julius is a captivating and emotionally charged novel that does exactly so. The book tells the story of Pamela Watkins, a seventeen-year-old girl who is rescued from a suicide attempt. The story is followed by the introduction of Beverly Johnson, a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteer who had previously taken up Pamela's case when she was just seven years old and growing up in a highly unstable home. Why did Pamela try to take her own life? This is a key question, and it is one that you will have to read the entire book to figure out. So what are you waiting for?

As Beverly Johnson re-enters Pamela's life, the narrative switches between past and present. Told from both seven-year-old Pamela's perspective and the third person perspective, the book is not necessarily a mystery story, but the author has a unique way of keeping readers guessing while he provides information about Pamela's experiences in bits and at just the right moment. Each time you feel like you have gotten a clear picture of the reason Pamela attempted suicide, you also discover that it goes much deeper, and the final revelation is indeed shocking.

One feature of this book I enjoyed the most was the author's ability to draw the reader into the story and create a sense of empathy for the characters. There is a lot of focus not just on character development but also on emotional depth. Pamela's character is one that is particularly well-developed, with the reader getting a deep insight into her emotional struggles and the trauma she has experienced, which eventually led to her suicide attempt. Through her story, the author does an excellent job of portraying an aspect of what it means to suffer mental health issues and how they can manifest. The book also highlights the importance of therapy as a method of intervention, as well as the significance of love and support for these children. Pamela's adoptive family was not perfect, but their response to the situation was very admirable, and they were key in helping her through the difficult times.

Beverly Johnson, the CASA volunteer who takes up Pamela's case, is also another well-developed character. We are taken through her life as a grandmother, as well as her love for her family, and the reader gets a sense of her dedication and compassion for the children she works with, as well as the challenges she faces in trying to help them. Pamela's case falling on her desk a second time had Beverly questioning her impact as a volunteer, but I enjoyed the resolution to this aspect of the story. The book also shines a light on the significance of the CASA program and the challenges faced by volunteers in advocating for the best interests of the children they work with, which are things I haven't given much thought to in the past. It's not easy having to advocate for separating children from their parents; however, tough choices must be made sometimes for the good of the child in the long run.

I also enjoyed the author's ability to tackle these difficult and emotionally charged topics sensitively and thoughtfully. The book does not shy away from the harsh realities of abuse and neglect, but it also offers hope and a sense of optimism. The author's ability to balance these different elements highlights his skill as a writer. The only issue I encountered was that the book could have been much better edited. For this reason, I award a rating of four out of five.

Overall, A Decade Aborning: The CASA Chronicles - Volume 4 is a thought-provoking book that offers insight into the lives of troubled youth and the dedicated volunteers who work to support them. The book is informative, well-written, and thoughtfully structured. It is the fourth book in the series but can be read as a standalone. Nonetheless, I would love to see what the previous books in the series offer. I would recommend this read to those interested in advocacy and supporting victims of abuse and neglect.

A Decade Aborning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ram Uday Mahajan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

What a powerful and captivating novel! The author's ability to create empathy for the characters and shed light on important issues is commendable. A must-read that beautifully portrays the struggles of troubled youth and the dedication of CASA volunteers.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Pamela is a 17-year-old girl, at the peak of her youth. But someone at the peak of their youth trying to go through with suicide is someone that must've been dealt with terribly. Abuse and neglect, especially when long-term can have a lasting impression on a person's well-being irrespective of the person's age. The author's ability to speak on such an issue without being too unrealistic about it is wonderful.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”