Review of Escape From Darkness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twanano Mageza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twanano-mageza.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Review of Escape From Darkness

Post by Twanano Mageza »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape From Darkness" by Ana Ingham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Escape From Darkness by Ana Ingham is a collection of three love stories that have Germany as the common thread. The first novella is called "By the Lake," the second one is called "Delayed Tenderness," and the third one is called "The German Lover." The stories occur at three different points in German history. They involve the strange love connection that different characters encounter with each other.

The stories are tender and light. Although they happen during interesting times in German history, they are all just human stories about desire. The first novella was my favourite. It was such an unusual story. Thomas and Carroll were the main characters of the tale. Their connection wasn't as powerful or as sexually charged as I wanted it to be, but something was charming about their connection. I loved how unpredictable their story was.

The second novella was also interesting. I would say that it was even more strange than the first one. It was just not as charming, but I enjoyed how unexpected the romance was. The unnamed narrator of the second novel was also the main character, and she was bold and intriguing.

All in all, these stories were good. They weren't the most exciting love stories I have ever read, but they were written very well. The stories could have been edgier, and their plot could have been stronger, but I feel that the author did a great job. I think that I will rate the collection of stories 4 out of 5 stars. I reached that rating for the simple reason that I didn't think the stories were exciting enough. The author made it a point to set the stories in Germany during significant times, and I feel that the setting could have been incorporated more smartly into the story to make it exciting.

Escape From Darkness is best suited for female readers who enjoy love stories. The stories have nothing else going on for them except for the romantic interactions between the characters.

Escape From Darkness
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
James Williams Uzo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-u.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by James Williams Uzo »

Female readers who enjoy love stories will have a great time reading Escape from Darkness. Brilliant review. Well done.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your review Your critique is honest, and I appreciate how you accurately state the strengths of each novella in the collection. I was moved by your observation that the stories are about "desire" and not just significant moments in German history. I appreciate your thoughts on how the stories could have been more exciting but still enjoyed the collection's well-written narrative. Your rating of four out of five stars and the target audience you recommended make me interested in reading this book, and I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”