Review of The Grandma Diaries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christine Palmer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Review of The Grandma Diaries

Post by Christine Palmer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grandma Diaries" by Kishan Mills.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There are two short stories in this book. Two grandmothers balance a career and family life. It is set in Florida during the recent pandemic. These are not your average elderly women. The first grandmother is named Milly Blackwood. She runs a prostitution ring in a Florida trailer park. Her life has been hard. She is determined to succeed. The second grandmother is named Jackie VanDoren. She is a widow. Her husband passed away unexpectedly. Both her daughters are in difficult positions and need her help.

The Grandma Diaries is written by Kishan Mills. I liked that the female leads are older, but also still strong and capable. This is not a common perspective in media. The stories were intriguing and filled with many unexpected turns. The book was not boring.

The novel is not well-edited. I identified seven typographical errors while reading. This detracted from my overall enjoyment of the book. The book uses a lot of casual and accented language. I found this difficult to follow at times. I found the plotlines to be unbelievable and resolved too quickly. Each of these stories needs its own full-length book for the reader to better relate to the characters. In the short-story format, I do not get to know the characters well enough for the complicated backstories involved.

I rate this book three out of five stars. The plots were interesting but difficult to follow. Typographical errors detracted from my enjoyment. A scene of sexual assault against a male was too vivid and detracted from my enjoyment of the read. The language is very crude and vulgar. It detracted from my overall enjoyment of the book.

I recommend this book to readers 18 and over. Readers must have an open mind as the book contains vulgar language and a scene of sexual assault. Drug dealing is openly portrayed.

The Grandma Diaries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The plot of the book seems to be a good one. However, as emphasised by you, if the book is not well-edited, it will surely make it difficult to follow. Thanks for the review.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your honest and detailed review. I appreciate your highlighting the positive aspects of the book, such as the strong and capable older female leads and the intriguing plotlines. However, I also understand your criticisms regarding the editing and resolution of the plotlines. I will take note of your recommendation to have each story expanded into a full-length book to better develop the characters. I also appreciate your warning about the mature content in the book, but I believe that some readers may still find the unconventional perspectives and themes of interest.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”