Review of A Light from the Ashes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of A Light from the Ashes

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Light from the Ashes" by Rachel Anne Cox.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After working his tail off for seven years at the lumber camp just to return to his adopted father and, most especially, his lover, Sam is grief-stricken at the devastating modifications that have taken place at Jesse's Hollow, his village. Frustrated and gravely disappointed, he wanders through the forest aimlessly. His adopted son gives him mild reassurance about life as he rethinks his self-annihilation. Jesse's Hollow was under the forceful rule of the Triumvirate. The civilians had been confined to living on supplies that were allocated to each person with reverence for their cards of identification. When the corsairs started to meddle with the citizens, members of the watch realized that the citizens risked extermination and that they must retaliate without hesitation. Notwithstanding the risks and losses they stand to face, they still press on with their revolution. Will their reprisal provide rejuvenation in the villages, or will it swirl gradually to a catastrophic result?

A Light from the Ashes by Rachel Anne Cox is a truly revolutionary novel that takes readers on a mesmerizing journey filled with breathtaking plot twists and turns. From the first page to the last, this literary masterpiece keeps you on the edge of your seat, eager to unravel the secrets that lie within its pages. The book, narrated from the third-person perspective, makes these characters engaging to the readers, revealing their struggles and desires. Sam had been through a great deal in the lumber camp; I envied his struggle to keep maneuvering his way to freedom despite the overwhelming complications. He was able to subdue his trepidation and act virtuously. The book exposed the ordeals the villagers had endured in the name of safety. With no hope of being liberated from the shackles of these ruthless soldiers, the villagers had to live in panic and starvation until Sam and members of the Watch decided to leap into the breach.

What I loved most about the book was the intricate web of interconnected characters' roles that paved the way for other characters and added layers of depth to the plot, ensuring that every twist served a purpose and contributed to the overall tapestry of the book. Although members of the watch, Gemma and Sophie, had operated under code names and had information about each other's actual lives, they had been bound by fate. Every character's life revolved around the other; their intertwining fates and hidden agendas kept readers guessing as alliances shifted with every unexpected revelation. Just when you think you have figured out the underlying mystery, the book takes an unexpected detour, leaving its readers astonished and hungry for more. Another feature of the book that I enjoyed was how love prevailed among individuals of all ages. Even the oldest character in the book, Zacharias, was nourished by love, as were the others.

There was nothing I disliked about the book, although Kyle had simulated signs of being homosexual while he was married to a woman. It still leaves its readers in doubt about his true sexuality. One of the standout aspects of this novel was the exact motivation each character found in themselves to be able to struggle in a world that seemed indifferent to their plight. Though the watch had lost many of its rational members, the ones left behind still held onto that glimmer of hope that was almost becoming an illusion. As a result, I rate this fascinating story five out of five stars.

The book is exceptionally well edited. I discovered no errors in it. I recommend this book to lovers of thrillers and tragedy.

A Light from the Ashes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for taking the time to write such an insightful review. I look forward to reading more of your recommendations in the future.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”