Review of Addict's Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Review of Addict's Way

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Addict's Way" by Stephen Liosi.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

We may be born into affluence and end up in poverty, or we may be born into poverty and remain trapped in it, with our dreams of wealth remaining mere illusions. They say habits can become addictions, which are incredibly difficult to control. Worst of all, they persist until they have utterly crushed one's hopes and aspirations.

Addict's Way by Stephen Liosi is a novel based on true events. The author uses the character Peter to recount his story in the hopes that it will guide others. Despite being born into a wealthy family and having a successful career as a lawyer, he battled a gambling addiction for over 40 years—a destructive habit that cost him everything that mattered. The actual consequences of his actions only became apparent when he was involved in a car accident that resulted in a traumatic brain injury, leaving him without the means to treat his condition, no support from family due to his addiction, and no job prospects. Liosi and his wife were left homeless, living in their car or wherever they could find shelter. This book offers valuable insights into the author's journey, marriage, financial struggles, and perspectives.

Although it took me a considerable amount of time to finish this book due to its length, I must say that I found the author's writing style captivating. As someone who understands the consequences of addiction, I am not usually inclined to sympathize with those who have squandered their opportunities and could have done better with their lives. However, reading this book provided me with a fresh perspective on addicts. I don't believe the author wrote this book seeking empathy from readers; instead, I believe he wrote it to unburden himself from intense, heartfelt emotions and as a way to begin anew.

I appreciate the author's skillful storytelling, vivid descriptions of events, and seamless transitions between topics. Despite its length, the book remains engaging and relatable. I commend Peter for refraining from blaming others for his misfortunes and for his compassionate treatment of his wife. Not everyone would be capable of maintaining love and adoration for their spouse in the face of such adversity. I gleaned valuable lessons from the various people the author encountered and his unwavering willingness to help others, even amidst his dire circumstances.

Aside from the book's length and the excessive use of profanity, I dislike nothing about it. I do not perceive this book as a plea for empathy but as a source of healing—an opportunity for the author to fulfill a long-standing desire to share his experiences and assist those in need. Therefore, I give Addict's Way a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It addresses a myriad of issues and is well-written, especially considering that it is the author's debut work.

I highly recommend this book to counselors, parents, families of addicts or gamblers, and readers who appreciate stories with profound messages.

Addict's Way
View: on Bookshelves
TrishaCleve
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishacleve.html
Latest Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Post by TrishaCleve »

I enjoyed your review; The vocabulary that you have written with is noteworthy. I look forward to reading your next review.
Thank you :)
:techie-reference:
Trisha Lee
Fergie Jessica Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jessica-edeni.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Fergie Jessica Edeni »

In the midst of overwhelming adversity, it is a rare feat to witness individuals who can sustain love and adoration for their spouse. The author's encounters with various people in the story and his unyielding commitment to assisting others, despite his own dire circumstances, provided me with invaluable lessons. Great review.
Jay Alex
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-alex.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, book II: Spring by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Jay Alex »

It is sad to learn of how Peter's life turned out. My question is would he have left hid addictions if he wasn't involved in the accident. Such a lesson!!!
Cresswell Henderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cresswell-henderson.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Cresswell Henderson »

The fact that this book is based on true events- events that aren't fictional, really piques my interest to read it. Peter does sound like an interesting character to follow.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: The Courage of a Butterfly by Edmond E. Frank aka E. Egorhh Frank

Post by Robert Andrew »

The reviewer provides an insightful and empathetic overview of "Addict's Way" by Stephen Liosi. Their comment reflects on the themes of the book, particularly the challenges of addiction and the consequences it can have on one's life. They appreciate the author's decision to recount his own story through the character of Peter, offering valuable insights into his journey, marriage, and financial struggles. The reviewer acknowledges their initial reluctance to sympathize with addicts but expresses how reading the book provided them with a fresh perspective. They commend the author's captivating writing style, noting that the book seemed more like a personal release of emotions rather than an attempt to seek empathy from readers.
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

This book is a powerful testament to the resilience and strength of the human spirit in the face of tragedy. Michelle Cowans story of overcoming the loss of her husband to a drunk driver is both heartbreaking and inspiring. The authors clear narration and use of simple language make it easy to connect with her experiences. I highly recommend Better Not Bitter to anyone who is going through a difficult period of loss or heartbreak.
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

This book is a powerful testament to the resilience and strength of the human spirit in the face of tragedy. Michelle Cowans story of overcoming the loss of her husband to a drunk driver is both heartbreaking and inspiring. The authors clear narration and use of simple language make it easy to connect with her experiences. I highly recommend Better Not Bitter to anyone who is going through a difficult period of loss or heartbreak.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Addictions can be difficult to overcome, but an addiction like gambling is one I find difficult to actually understand. Well, I recall how much of a thrill the characters in Kakeguri had when gambling and I must say, they made it like something you can get a little fun out of, but it's the last thing I'd expect someone to get addicted to. My tone is clearly a bit judgmental, but I still admire the fact that the author didn't seek for sympathy but for a release. Addictions are difficult to break free from, and I can't even imagine what his wife must've felt.
Wonderful review!
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Professor Hex Vs. Texas Men by Melanie Sovran Wolfe

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

Addiction is a relentless battle that can affect anyone, regardless of their background. Peter's story, as recounted by Stephen Liosi, serves as a powerful reminder of the devastating impact it can have on one's life.
Alex Lynn
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-lynn.html
Latest Review: God, Science and the Bible by Arnold V Page

Post by Alex Lynn »

What a well analyzed and evaluation of the book in this review. I like your discussion and justice to the reason why the author has written the book. Moreover, the account of the author in the book could help me see clearly the real feelings of a typical addict.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”