Review of Beyond the Sea

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Beyond the Sea

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond the Sea" by Nina Purtee.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I​f you want to experience an extravagant lifestyle vicariously, this is the book for you. Annie, the protagonist in Beyond the Sea, has no money worries. Supported by her wealthy grandparents and two rich suitors, she travels the world on private jets, luxury sailboats, and fancy sports cars. She stays in luxurious accommodations, drinks expensive wines, and enjoys haute cuisine.

B​eing financially secure does not mean she is worry-free, however. Annie faces many personal conflicts such as her father's disappearance, a boating accident that seriously injures her best friend, and questionable romantic encounters. Annie is supported during each crisis by a network of friends and family. The author, Nina Purtee, has a degree in philosophy, and that is demonstrated through the advice meted out to Annie during her troubled times.

R​eaders who enjoy travelogs will appreciate the diverse settings of the story. I was originally drawn to the book because I saw that one of the settings was Marbella. I fell in love with that beach town on my trip to Spain. One of my favorite parts of the book was reliving my train ride from Madrid to Malaga on the same high-speed train that Annie took. Annie also vividly describes her trips to places such as Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Greece, Portugal, and Thailand.

Although I enjoyed reading this 286-page novel, at times the unreality of how everything always turned out perfectly felt too much like a fairy tale. This aspect was not enough to deduct a star. My rating is five out of five. There are some love scenes, and readers who might be offended by the vivid sexual descriptions might want to skip this book.

T​his is the first book about the 26-year-old, bold traveler. The author has given hints about where Annie's adventures will take her next. If I can't make it to South America and Bali myself, I will enjoy seeing it through Annie's eyes.

Beyond the Sea
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am interested in Annie’s adventures. Book about travel don’t really appeal to me, however. It would probably be difficult for me to relate to Annie’s problems, as well.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

Anny is protoconid she only think about money. She bay expensive wine 🍷, go on exclusive restorant an journeys. She have a conflict of father, but when met a love, her avantyre get started. This is a amazing colour illustrations novels about love and indipedent woman, and when yuo reading a book you will be enjoy.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

That's definitely everyone's dream life and we have to work exceeding hard to get there. I'm still lying to decide if this book will help fuel my passion to be wealthy or if it'll mess up my mentality of not having exceeding wealthy grandparents.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

I find it truly amazing that the author's protagonist and the reviewer share some memories. I can imagine how engaged the reviewer would've felt while reading the book. Annie's life is the typical kind of life everyone wants to live. I might not like her as a character because I love the concept of hard work, so if all she does is rely on rich suitors and grandparents for her exotic lifestyle then I might not click with her.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
Vicky Wynn
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vicky-wynn.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Sea by Nina Purtee

Post by Vicky Wynn »

I have just finished reading Annie's story, and agree with others that her lavish, care free travelling is unrealistic for most. I'm sure we all wish we could travel in such style, but I'd have much rather have read about her sailing from country to country than jumping on private jets with wealthy suitors. In fact she hardly does any actual sailing herself, which I found a bit disappointing considering how the story begins. The author's philosophy background does come out in the story however, in my opinion, it was too much and made the dialect come across scripted and unnatural.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”