Review of But in Wonder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of But in Wonder

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "But in Wonder" by Dan A. Baker.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

But in Wonder by Dan A. Baker, the sequel to Forever and Ever, continued the story of Jasmine Metcalf, a former biotech researcher. Four years ago, she and her husband, Dr. Earl Metcalf, attempted a life-changing invention that would have solved the aging problem in children brought on by progeria disease. Their work was sabotaged, and their subjects died. Four years later, Earl had passed on, Jasmine was still dealing with the losses, and she was also feeling the damage of her age (seventy-seven years). When her lover, Will Behlen, invited her over to where he was, the "Nice Life Planet," she was unaware of the shocking surprise that awaited her, the ethical and moral dilemma she would confront, the open-mindedness she may have to embrace, and the scary new lease of life that awaited her if she was willing to pay the price.

The book was a shocking but exciting story that provided many thrilling possibilities. The author's language was simple and easy to understand, despite the technical and scientific registers used in the book. But in Wonder presented a futuristic world with many possibilities that left mixed emotions in its wake. The entire aura that surrounded the story was charged with anticipation. It had moments of intrigue and suspense that left me uncertain of what was to come.

The characters were an exciting bunch. They were diverse, smart, and filled with life and hope, which rubbed off on me. Will's character was the most pragmatic. He was a rambunctious character with an infectious personality that others gravitated towards. Jasmine was a more cautious character. She was sweet but tentative with the risks she took. Claire Bannister was the third wheel in the trio. She was a gentle character who seemed lovable and sensitive.

But in Wonder subtly addressed many modern existential issues, like beauty, youth, and sexual attraction. The story captured society's obsession with aging and the frantic search for immortality. At the same time, it explored the modern unorthodox attitude towards sexual relationships. Hence, there were heated-up sexual encounters.

What the author envisioned in this book may be considered fantastical, but it was an impossibility brought to life by the author's creativity. On a deeper look, the story was one about second chances — at life, love, dreams, and family. It was also a story about change — on a personal level and within society. Most profound were the questions the book aroused about the possible consequences of society's most coveted innovations.

The book was professionally edited, as I found only a few errors. It was a simple but intelligent story that captured life in all its frail nature, vanities, and the simple joys that make it worth living. I enjoyed reading this book and found nothing to dislike. But in Wonder would be most appreciated by lovers of science fiction geared towards addressing significant issues in society and with humanity. I'd rate it five out of five stars because there was no reason to deduct a star.

But in Wonder
View: on Bookshelves
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Okocha Victor »

Your review was excellently written, and I'm looking forward to reading this book and seeing if Jasmine got to solve the aging problem. I also want to know what the whole nice life planet is about. Is it somewhere full of magic, and no one ages? or it's just a regular place with a nice name.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”