Review of Silvia’s Smile a True Fiction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Review of Silvia’s Smile a True Fiction

Post by Brian Ruguru »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silvia’s Smile a True Fiction" by Diana Silvia Nicolaci.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Silvia is hired by an affluent cosmetic surgeon, Jim Istible, as the receptionist. The working environment is ambient and lovable as compared to her former job. However, as time passes, Silvia realizes the place packs gossip, fakeness and infidelity.

Silvia’s best friend, Rita, is in an abusive relationship. When Rita goes missing, dirty secrets begin coming to light. Meanwhile, for years, Silvia has kept her husband’s dirty secret— capable of sending him to prison. Silvia is perfecting her art skills and decides to paint a portrait of her face. However, one detail seems to be missing: a beautiful smile. Somehow, she doesn’t seem to get it right. With Silvia’s colleagues living double lives, it’s hard to trust anyone. She even starts questioning whether she should have taken that job in the first place. Will Rita be found, or should we assume the worst? More importantly, will the middle-aged Silvia get her smile right for her portrait, when she works in an environment where everyone is enhancing their looks surgically?

Silvia’s Smile a True Fiction by Diana Silvia Nicolaci is a book on self-acceptance. After devouring it, you’re left saying, “I am beautiful the way I am. I don’t require any plastic surgeries.” The novel dwells on middle-aged people, with women being the victims of wanting to enhance their looks and possibly please their men and society.

I enjoyed the gossip at the clinic, and the ladies seemed to have a knack for meddling with people’s lives. Even better, I loved when they bashed clients behind their backs after they left. Diana Nicolaci has weaved a few sensitive themes: childhood traumas, lack of self-esteem, and trying to escape your past.

However, had the book been professionally edited, it would have been a page-turner, but it wasn’t! There were numerous errors, almost packing a fault on each page. One profound disappointment was a grammatical typo like “minuets” meaning “minutes.” Even a minor revision would have rectified some of the flaws. That was the main setback.

Further, I disliked that the characters repeated themselves, and the author included unimportant details like song lyrics. Additionally, the hurried ending provided room for loose ends. Overall, I rate the book 2 out of 5 stars. I recommend Silvia’s Smile a True Fiction to any reader who fancies books on self-acceptance.

Silvia’s Smile a True Fiction
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”