Review of The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review of The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload)

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload)" by Hawa Crickmore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reloaded) by Hawa Crickmore is a fiction novel centered on a woman named Maria. It holds themes of betrayal, love, family, and sexual assault.

Brenda, Maria's mom, and Maureen grew close. Despite their age difference, Emilia, Mauren's 14-year-old daughter, and 10-year-old Maria instantly became friends. Maria looked up to her. Emilia caught the eye of Ian, Maureen's boyfriend, and they began an affair. One day, Tyler, Emilia's cousin, happened to walk in on them. Ian was forced to leave, and Tyler took advantage of the circumstance to blackmail Emilia into bringing her peers for him to have sexual relations with. Out of fear, Emilia complied. She ran out of girls to bring and decided to bring Maria. Unbeknownst to them, the police had been informed, and Tyler got arrested. Emilia fled to Spain. After Maria's encounter with Tyler, she developed feelings for him, which she kept a secret. Years later, Maria became a successful lawyer and got married to Ron. The marriage was going well until the neighbor at number 18 moved in.

I love that sexual assault is at the forefront of this book. It helps create awareness. It enlightens parents and shows them that children can be lured by their peers, as was the case in this book. Emilia lured her unsuspecting classmates to her cousin with the promise of goodies. Parents should warn their children against such people. This book also sheds light on vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease. It shows us what the patient and the patient's family go through. I felt sad for Ron and his family as they watched Maria's health deteriorate.

Emilia was my least favorite character. I didn't like how she easily betrayed her mother and collaborated with her cousin to ruin the lives of helpless girls. It was quite wrong of her to include Maria, a young girl who looked up to her. I was glad they were caught.

The author did a wonderful job. I saw the characters develop as I kept on reading. Each character had its own distinct behavior. Additionally, the writing style was easy to comprehend.

Although this book had a lot of positive aspects, it also had a few negative ones. Firstly, the author often shuffled between present and past tense, which disrupted the flow of my reading. I found over ten errors, showing that it was not quite well edited. Secondly, given the title of this book, I thought that the neighbour at number 18 would play a vital role till the end of this book, but that was not the case.

Due to the above reasons, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. It was an enjoyable read. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy books centered on drama.

The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Intriguing review. I like the theme, it can be devastating to get lured into a trap by a friend.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Jane Honda »

Wow what an amazing way to keep us hanging. I am puzzled about who the neighbor at number 18 could be. Seems like there is a lot of fun ahead. Am looking forward to reading this book.
Jude Michael Uchechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jude Michael Uchechukwu »

Nice review, I will really like to find out who this neighbor at number 18 is😄,she might probably be someone I know, lol, 🤣... But one thing i find interesting about this book is that fact that, It teaches parents that sexual assault is real and not good, so parents should at all times take care of there children and also know there whereabout, know the kind of friends they keep.... And for teenagers, it teaches them to be careful of the situation they found themselves so as not to be used against them.
Akinyemi Oluwabukunmi Mustapha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinyemi-oluwabukunmi-mustapha.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Akinyemi Oluwabukunmi Mustapha »

This book seems to have a rollercoaster of emotions and I would love to check it out. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on it. Good job!
Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praiyz-pearlumie-olushegun.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun »

This is an intriguing review, I love the enlightenment about sexual assault , I'd love to read this book
Agbata Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-agbata-1.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Agbata Charles »

Wow.
This book sounds thrilling. I also love that the book brings enlightenment on sexual assault.
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

This book sounds interesting. I also like that there's awareness of sexual assault. This problem is a menace that can be dealt with by making our children wiser. Great review.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: The Courage of a Butterfly by Edmond E. Frank aka E. Egorhh Frank

Post by Robert Andrew »

The reviewer has provided a balanced and insightful critique of the book. They express their dislike for Emilia's actions and highlight how the characters developed throughout the story. The reviewer appreciates the author's distinct portrayal of each character and finds the writing style easy to comprehend. However, the reviewer also points out a couple of negative aspects. They mention the inconsistency in the use of tenses, which disrupted the flow of their reading experience.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

The book sounds interesting but the reviewer made the plot sound confusing and I can even note some mistakes in the name. I hope she will do better next time. Well done!
Uchechi uk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechi-uk.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Uchechi uk »

I love how the book addressed sexual assault and put it as the major theme. A lot of people face this issue but have decided to keep shut. I hope that this book is as impactful as its review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”