Review of So, Let Me Get This Straight

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Review of So, Let Me Get This Straight

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "So, Let Me Get This Straight" by Richard H. Kirshen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Two aliens have decided to visit the United States of America. They have chosen to visit America in particular after much due diligence. Quin and Vera are those highly intelligent aliens who have landed in Washington DC. After resisting the aliens for a while, the President finally decides to welcome the aliens to the States. The aliens will soon begin investigating Earth’s environmental issues, diverse religions, socio-economic structures, laws, politics, and general ways of life. What will their analysis be? Do the aliens have any hidden agenda? What would happen when all of their supernatural powers are unleashed? Does America have anything to worry about? Read So, Let Me Get This Straight by Richard H. Kirshen to find out.

What I liked the most about the book was the plot. A critical analysis of America would need one to be daring and mostly politically incorrect. Getting this analysis done by unbiased aliens allowed the author freedom to be brutally honest, frank, and argumentatively critical. Quin and Vera had interesting inquiries about social structures, societal protocols, the functioning of the government, etc. The way they compared these with their own planet’s functioning was amusing.

I also liked how the aliens were designed. They were human-like and relatable. The way they communicated with one another, the way they cared for each other was adorable. I especially loved how Vera has Quin’s back and kept correcting his behavior. The way their relationship with the daughter of the President and NSA head blossomed was quite enjoyable to read. I would have liked it more if the author had kept the sexual encounters out of the story. It would have made the book more clinical and impact full. Nevertheless, the story remained entertaining.

I had no complaints about the book. It is well-written and professionally edited. There were no grammatical issues. The pace was perfect, and the language was fluid. I would rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. There were no dull moments in the book. There were some serious, though-inciting moments, and then there were some humorous, satirical moments. One would need to keep an open mind to be a part of dialogues and debates the author has tried to initiate in the book.

I recommend the book to readers who enjoy alien conspiracy theories. People who love witty, sarcastic, thought-provoking socio-political analysis will find this book interesting. I enjoyed reading how the powers of the aliens were gradually revealed.

So, Let Me Get This Straight
View: on Bookshelves
Jude Michael Uchechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jude Michael Uchechukwu »

I will give this one a try, honestly, I love everything about aliens, their movies, books, documentaries and all that.... What interest me about this review is the fact that, they aliens have a mission on earth, which purpose is not clearly said, I mean I would like to find out myself what really happened in the book🙂... I believe this book will be interesting.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I have always wondered what the world’s society, as a whole, and ours in the US, particularly, would look like to an outsider with no frame of reference. The ability to critique it without having to bow to political correctness has got to be hilarious.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”