Review of Love, Flesh, and Spirit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Love, Flesh, and Spirit

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love, Flesh, and Spirit" by L. Adlai Boyd.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

L. Adlai Boyd’s Love, Flesh, and Spirit follows a story set in the 1960s. It's the story of a young American preacher whose life drastically changes after he falls in love with a younger parishioner. Nathan struggles to juggle his commitment to his work and God, his love for his wife and children, and the relentless lust and pursuit of his mistress. He is motivated by his great realization, a philosophy that involves an unselfish death of self to live for others, but he finds himself stuck between his feelings of agape and eros love, both battling for dominance over his life. Overwhelmed by it all, the insecure preacher sought a way out of the quandary developed by his own actions. The author captures with ingenuity the disarray in Nathan’s life caused by an insatiable appetite for love and how it, directly and indirectly, impacts those around him forever.

The author’s method of storytelling held my attention from the very first chapter. The book imposed itself on my thoughts, making it hard to put it down. I found myself contemplating many things discussed in the book and wanting to understand the characters' motivations. I admired the poetic qualities of this prose. The use of poetic elements added a layer of depth and beauty to the narrative, enhancing the overall impact and making it a truly enjoyable read. I was intrigued by how the protagonist confronted sensitive subjects such as religion and monogamy within the story. The author skillfully wove these challenging themes into the narrative, presenting them with varied perspectives. Nathan’s introspection added realism to the story, making it all the more gripping. The book was rich in complex and mature themes that explored the intricacies of human desire and nature. It shed light on topics such as love, loss, identity, and the complexities of relationships, which I found very enlightening.

While it was compelling in many aspects, the book was longer than necessary for the story it aimed to portray. The plot started reiterating the same things in several chapters, which could have easily been shortened or summarized. Some readers who love lengthy stories may not have an issue with that, but I didn't particularly like the repetition it came along with.

I won't remove a star from the book owing to its length because I don't consider that alone a good enough reason to effect a star deduction. So, I rate Love, Flesh, and Spirit five out of five stars. The book proved to be engaging and rewarding because it was intellectually stimulating. Even though I found a few errors in it, I believe it was professionally edited.

I recommend this book to an audience seeking a thought-provoking and emotionally engaging reading experience. Fans of romance stories should get a copy of this book. It is for a mature audience due to the inclusion of heavily explicit and sensually charged content in it.

Love, Flesh, and Spirit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

It's commendable that the author tackled sensitive subjects such as religion and monogamy with skill and nuance. By presenting these themes from various perspectives, the author allowed for a thoughtful exploration of these complex topics.
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Redundancy is something I dislike as well, but it still seems like a good book. The battle between eros love and agape love must've also been a fierce one for the priest. Such a battle is never actually easy to conquer. Its commendable that the author was able to dwell on sensitive subjects in the right manner.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

It would be interesting to read and find out how Nathan was able to balance his lust for the parishioner, family and the work of God. Congrats on BOTD.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Having delved into a few chapters of the book, I'm compelled to share my initial impressions. The storytelling is undeniably captivating, drawing me in from the very beginning. The author's adept use of poetic elements adds a layer of depth and beauty to the narrative, making it thought-provoking and enjoyable. I find myself contemplating the characters' motivations and appreciating the protagonist's courage in addressing sensitive subjects like religion and monogamy. Nathan's introspection adds a realistic touch, making the story more gripping. The exploration of mature themes, such as love, loss, identity, and complex relationships, is enlightening.
Aleesha Jarral
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleesha-jarral.html
Latest Review: We Come Bearing Curses by Zachariah Chamberlin

Post by Aleesha Jarral »

It's admirable that the author skillfully and nuancedly addressed touchy themes like religion and monogamy. Through the presentation of these issues from several angles, the author made it possible for a careful examination of these difficult subjects.
SimiSunshine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SimiSunshine »

It offers unique perspective on relationships and how they relate to religious beliefs
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Thought-provoking indeed, the review makes me wonder how I feel about religion and monogamy and now I also wonder how the characters in the book show their different perspectives. I am not too sure about the poetic element, it's not necessarily a style of writing I appreciate.
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

The battle of love and soul, an eternal conflict, is very common and yet not discussed much. I appreciate the effort. Congratulations to the author for BOTD and best wishes for future projects.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 86231
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1381%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Devoted to his wife Scott world turned upsidedown when he meet Sara their friendship turned into passionate affair Scott is caught between potent poles of agape and Eros and he struggled with the event happening in his life..
Upphilan Paul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upphilan-paul.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Upphilan Paul »

"Love, Flesh and Spirit" is an important book to read. No one can serve two masters, just in the case of this American preacher called Nathan, he fell in love with a young lady.Well, it's okay to love but this takes away his commitment to God, and this takes away his Agape love to Eros. Congrats on BOTD!
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

Nathan's struggle to contain his love for his mistress and his efforts to balance work, family and his commitment to selflessly serve God is also well portrayed. The fact that the author has handled complex themes in a mature way needs to be appreciated. Would love to know if Nathan got his life under control. Best wishes.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Nathan certainly has challenges. He seems todo. His best, though, to shoulder his various responsibilities to both the church and his family with our shortchanging either. Congratulations on BOTD!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I wasn't expecting a preacher with a mistress, but we are all human, and I love literature that explores the complexities and nuances of our flawed nature. Thank you for your fantastic review.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

Will the protagonist be able to reign in his thoughts while upholding moral norms while he is caught between his duties to God, and his family, and fighting lust? The OBC reviewer conducted an in-depth investigation. Congratulations to the author on winning BOTD!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”