Review of Not Dead Yet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 985
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Unbound by Jocelyn Maxwell

Review of Not Dead Yet

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not Dead Yet" by Mark Fletcher.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Not Dead Yet!: Stories from the Last Stop by Mark Fletcher revolves around life at an aged care facility. The book includes stories about the lives of the people living in a nursing home. We get to know Alexander, Elsie, Millie, Shirley, Beth, Kyros, Andrew, Matthew, Thomas, Isabelle, Gerald, Rosemary, Douglas, and Frank among others. They all find themselves at an aged care facility at the dusk of their lives. Though many consider them near death, they are indeed not dead yet. There is still life left in them. We also meet Jill, Bec, Cathy, and a few other staff members. While it is their job to take care of the senior citizens living in the facility, many of them truly care for the aged people.

Mark Fletcher's Not Dead Yet!: Stories from the Last Stop taught me a lot about life. Some of us consider old people to be naive. While others think them to be nothing but sources of wisdom. Very few of us consider them to be people who can take up new hobbies, fall in love again, rediscover themselves, or make mistakes. Fletcher made me realize that senior citizens are independent individuals. Just like Jill, I got to see them in a new light. When Jill first came to the facility, she was only concerned about her performance ratings. The inhabitants of the nursing home made her truly see them as people who have different hobbies and choices. Bec is another staff member who truly made me like her. It is evident that she is competent. Though she gets paid to care, she really cares for the aged, unlike some of her coworkers.

Alexander's story is one of my favorites. He never thought that he would find himself living in a nursing home. Yet, life had other plans. It was a wonder seeing him make his own place in the aged care facility and finally be happy with himself. "Journaling" is another of my favorite stories. The narrator does everything for her husband, Matthew, who is suffering from dementia. There were literally tears in my eyes after reading about her predicament in the end. Thomas' story left a mark on me. It taught me that it takes a lot of courage to accept yourself. Thomas' friendship with Carla and his bond with his grandson, Max, warmed my heart.

Love and acceptance are recurring themes in the book. When you are old, people consider you to be set in your ways. They don't expect you to change. It was a treat seeing Douglas asserting his individuality and right to love Frank, at the same time expressing his affection for his daughter. Ian's predicament after the demise of Loretta baffled me. His conversation with Loretta's daughter, Nina, made me realize that everything in life is not black and white.

Humor and music play important roles in Not Dead Yet!: Stories from the Last Stop. Fletcher makes sure to infuse humor in his writing. Shirley's ribald jokes made me realize that there is a lot to live for. The story about lunch is heart-warming as well. The way the residents rallied among themselves to make their meals special is charming. Music plays a great role in the residents' lives. It helped Alexander make his own place in the nursing home. Music remained a solace for Matthew's wife. It was music that brought the different residents closer. I have to say that I love the songs included in the book. The different poems and songs put me in the residents' shoes and made me see the world through their eyes.

I really like the way the aged residents of the facility never gave up on life. Though every day was a struggle for them, they found ways to live life to the fullest. The way some of the residents organized an entire movement on Twitter and compelled a minister to come to them was truly admirable. We also get to see how some of the relatives treated the inhabitants. I was astounded by the tactile visitation feature. I was shocked by how David treated his mom, Annie. The short story about the futuristic sensory exhibit depicting an aged care facility made me introspect.

Overall, Not Dead Yet!: Stories from the Last Stop is a beautiful collection of stories that actually make you think. Mark Fletcher's simple and realistic writing style makes the stories all the more hard-hitting. Though they are fictional, it is evident that Fletcher's stories are inspired by real life. I truly enjoyed reading this amazing book.

I found only a few insignificant errors. These errors did not detract anything from my reading experience. I found nothing to criticize in this well-edited book. Hence, I am glad to rate Mark Fletcher's Not Dead Yet!: Stories from the Last Stop 5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend this book to people who enjoy the genre of slice-of-life.

Not Dead Yet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Debra Rosene
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Debra Rosene »

I definitely want to read since reading the review. Love and acceptance was what the reviewer thought the book was about. The residents at the aged care facility never gave up on life and it also seems that old dogs can learn new tricks.
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

This is a beautiful book, perfect for winter reading. In the review, it is emphasized that as long as there is life, there is hope and more things to look out for. The residents in this facility never gave up on life. They even took on new hobbies.
The society - particularly in developed countries - tend to see senior citizens as naïve, stubborn, slow, hopelessly ill and not fun. I applaud that the author took the initiative to write such a book. It offers value-added reflection to the society. I will definitely add it to my shelves. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Navera A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-navera-a.html
Latest Review: Women of Fire and Snow by Nati del Paso

Post by Navera A »

Sounds like such a heart-warming book to read. Thanks for the great review!
fareedaali9113
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareedaali9113.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by fareedaali9113 »

The book appears to be an incredible book that I simply cannot wait to read. Great review!
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading: The Shanghai Circle
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

This review of "Not Dead Yet" by Mark Fletcher beautifully captures the essence of the book and highlights its impact on the reader. The reviewer acknowledges the profound life lessons embedded within the stories of the aged care facility residents. They appreciate the author's ability to challenge preconceived notions about old age, showcasing the independence, passions, and capacity for growth that seniors possess. The reviewer specifically mentions their favorite stories and how they were moved by the characters' journeys. The recurring themes of love, acceptance, humor, and music are commended for adding depth and warmth to the narratives. Overall, the reviewer expresses genuine admiration for the book's thought-provoking content and the author's skillful storytelling.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading: The Shanghai Circle
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt and insightful review of Mark Fletcher's "Not Dead Yet!: Stories from the Last Stop." Your appreciation for the portrayal of the residents' lives, the themes of love and acceptance, and the infusion of humor and music truly captures the essence of the book. Well said!
Odichimma Okoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odichimma-okoye.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Odichimma Okoye »

Honestly, my point of view concerning old individuals is the typical one. But this review sheds light on the fact that although they are old, they truly aren't dead and are capable of doing what every breathing creature does. Age is just a number they say. This review and the book as well prove that.
:D Hi! Thanks for stopping by to read my reviews. Leave a reply and let me see what you think about my reviews and the books I review. I'll be willing to take any corrections and grateful for any replies. Thanks! :tiphat:
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

This book appears to be a compilation of stories, each character noteworthy and poignant. The evaluation has brought forth every vivid image of the challenging and joyful times at the elderly care facility. It was comforting to realize that there are those in the workforce who go above and beyond their compensated duties. This review does justice for a moving novel. I would love to read this book.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: Chasing Dragons between Dimensions by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Kristin Cowan »

So true this is a story that has not really been told.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”