Review of Praesidium

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of Praesidium

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Praesidium" by McKinley Aspen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Praesidium by McKinley Aspen is an enthralling and action-packed start to the Shadows in the Wind series. The novel introduces us to Kathryn Bek, a young woman who embarks on a thrilling journey of self-discovery and courage after her father's mysterious disappearance. She was approached by Raphael at a job fair after she graduated and got an offer too good to be true for a fresh graduate. After careful consideration and a heated discussion with her boyfriend, Scott, she joins Hope & Global Support (HGS), an undercover organization that gathers people with supernatural abilities to help people without hope and combat evil. As Kathryn becomes an integral part of the team, which includes Michael, Ashley, and Greg, they must face dangerous adversaries, including her own villainous aunt, Jacquelyn, who holds dark secrets that connect to her father's absence. This book takes readers on a roller-coaster ride filled with intrigue, romance, and unexpected twists.

One of the standout features of Praesidium is McKinley Aspen's exceptional storytelling prowess. The author seamlessly weaves together elements of fantasy, romance, and crime thrillers, creating a gripping narrative that keeps readers engaged from start to finish. The fast-paced plot brims with excitement and suspense, offering an adrenaline-pumping reading experience. Aspen's descriptive writing style shines, particularly during action-packed scenes, immersing readers in the heart-pounding moments as they unfold. I felt this on their mission to Finland and Sedona, which later took them to Moab. The lessons on vortex are quite inspiring. Aspen also captured the scenes on the train so well. I enjoyed it so much.

Moreover, the author's skillful character development allows us to form a genuine connection with the protagonists, especially Kathryn and her team members. This emotional depth adds a layer of authenticity to the story, making it a truly enjoyable read. I so much like the romance between Scott and Kathryn, even though they are always at loggerheads when it comes to work. And it's expected between two individuals, especially when one party operates primarily on logic. I like the maturity of Ashley and the versatility of Greg.

While Praesidium excels in many aspects, there were a few instances where the pacing seemed a bit rushed. Some significant plot developments and character arcs could have benefited from more exploration and development. At some point, I felt the discussions between Scott and Kathryn were forced. Most times, they have arguments that I wasn't expecting. Like when Kathryn discovered Scott also has a supernatural ability, I wasn't expecting their arguments to be that prolonged. Yes, it's a surprise to me too, but I did not expect them to have such a face-off. Another part of Kathryn's behaviour that seemed immature to me was her desperate search for a leadership position.

Also, I expected the gifts of others to be developed too; however, I only experienced Kathryn's abilities in action. I expected Michael to display his abilities when they went on some of their missions. In my opinion, the focus was too much on Kathryn's abilities, which made the book sort of imbalanced. If I were Ashley or Michael, I would be jealous. Occasionally, certain events felt slightly predictable, reducing the impact of certain surprises. Despite these drawbacks, the overall strength of the narrative and characters outweighs these concerns.

The book stands out as exceptionally well edited, with minimal errors in spelling, grammar, and typos. The seamless prose and polished presentation enhance the reading experience, allowing readers to fully immerse themselves in the captivating work of McKinley Aspen.

Praesidium by McKinley Aspen is a captivating and well-crafted novel, earning a commendable 5 out of 5 stars. Despite the minor issues I pointed out, they were not enough to deduct a star. The book's exciting plot, intricate character dynamics, and intriguing paranormal elements create an immersive reading experience. The exceptional storytelling, coupled with Aspen's descriptive prowess, keeps readers engrossed throughout. While the pacing could have been smoother in some instances, the overall quality of the book warrants a highly positive evaluation.

This book will resonate with a broad spectrum of readers, particularly those who enjoy action-packed fantasy thrillers with paranormal elements. Fans of crime thrillers and romance will also find themselves engrossed in this captivating book. The well-developed characters and thematic depth make it suitable for young adult and adult audiences alike. Those who appreciate narratives exploring themes of courage, teamwork, and self-discovery will find Praesidium both entertaining and thought-provoking.

A little bit of caution: some scenes contain elements of violence, so younger readers should approach the book with parental guidance. However, for those intrigued by a tale of mystery, intrigue, and magical prowess, Praesidium is a must-read.

Praesidium
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Jose Andres Deabreu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jose Andres Deabreu »

Kathryn Bek gets the chance of a lifetime: a job offer right out of college, and in New York City, where adventure lies around every corner. Believing she is recruited for her marketing prowess, she is excited by the prospect of her new job in the intelligence sector; but all is not what it seems. Before long, Kathryn and her new team are thrown into a world of mystery, murder, and magic. As the team rushes around the world, untangling the web of lies, she finds that her past may be the key to protecting her, and the world's, future.

Will she be able to confront her fuzzy past to unlock the secrets within herself? Can her team rise to the challenge and stop the Paolucci Crime Family before they unleash havoc upon the globe?

Who will endure, the Kathryn of the past, or that of the future?

Praesidium can simply be described as "Good people with mad skills working to bring hope to a dark world."
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It seems that Jacquelyn was the mastermind of Kathryn's father's absence. The dark secrets she beholds will be an intriguing read in the book. Your review is engaging, Emeka, and is obvious that you enjoyed the book so much.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I loved your word usage which made your review interesting. I must admit I thought it was a tad long. But it was well constructed. This seems like a book I would love to read with its mix of fantasy, crime , and romance. I am intrigued to find out if Kathryn finds her father and what happens with her Aunt. Great job.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Post by Brian Ruguru »

The first paragraph drew me in to the plot. I already love the book. Great review!
Susan John Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-john-peter.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Susan John Peter »

Praesidium by McKinley Aspen is an enthralling and action-packed start to the Shadows in the Wind series. The novel introduces us to Kathryn Bek, a young woman who embarks on a thrilling journey of self-discovery and courage after her father's mysterious disappearance.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Robert Andrew »

The incorporation of inspiring lessons on vortex and well-captured train scenes are also commended by the reviewer. Overall, the book seems to offer readers an enthralling and adrenaline-pumping reading experience.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

The reviewer commends McKinley Aspen's storytelling prowess, noting the seamless blend of fantasy, romance, and crime thriller elements that create an engaging and suspenseful reading experience.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

Superpowers, secrets, romance this seems an interesting storyline. Your review is refreshing, your description of the characters and the aspects of the book is well structured.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

I have also read this book and the story was so captivating and the thing I loved about the book was there was no dragging chapters or swaying away from main topic, as a result of which I was so hooked to the book, saying to myself 'just one more chapter!"
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

Yes, this is a helpful review as it provides a detailed analysis of the book "Praesidium" by McKinley Aspen. The review covers various aspects such as the engaging plot, well-developed characters, and the author's storytelling prowess. However, it also highlights minor issues with pacing and character development. Overall, the review is sufficient and can motivate potential readers to purchase the book. From the reviewer's perspective, "Praesidium" appears to be a good addition to anyone's library, especially for those who enjoy action-packed fantasy thrillers with paranormal elements and themes of courage and self-discovery.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review portrays "Praesidium" by McKinley Aspen as a captivating and well-crafted novel with exceptional storytelling and descriptive prowess. The book's exciting plot, intricate character dynamics, and intriguing paranormal elements offer an immersive reading experience. While some minor pacing issues and a potential lack of balance among character abilities were mentioned, they did not affect the overall quality, making "Praesidium" a highly recommended read.
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Review This review does an excellent job of highlighting the strengths of "Praesidium" by McKinley Aspen. The captivating plot, well-developed characters, and seamless prose make it a highly enjoyable read. While there are some minor pacing and focus issues, the overall quality of the book shines through. I look forward to diving into this action-packed fantasy thriller with paranormal elements. Richly detailed world-building, felt immersive.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Hey there! This review of "Praesidium" by McKinley Aspen is quite intriguing. The reviewer praises the book's captivating plot, well-developed characters, and immersive storytelling. The author's descriptive writing style and seamless prose are also highlighted. While there were some concerns regarding pacing and character development, they did not detract from the overall positive evaluation. Overall, it seems like "Praesidium" would be a great read for fans of action-packed fantasy thrillers with paranormal elements, crime thrillers, and romance. Just a heads up, there are some violent scenes, so it's best for older readers. Happy reading! Gripping tension, kept me on edge.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”