Review of Tipping Point

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Tipping Point

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tipping Point" by Edward Correia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you understand how the political system in the United States works? Is the outcome ever what the people of the country intended? Have you ever considered what the original framers of the Constitution intended?

In Tipping Point by Edward Correia, Melissa Harding and Nelson Barlow are in a heated presidential race. Harding, the newcomer and former governor of New Jersey, is ahead, but not by as much as she would like. President Barlow, sensing his imminent defeat, is trying to stay in office for as long as possible. The electoral college, an imperfect system at best, is not looking to go his way. He and his entire cabinet want to increase his influence. They begin by trying to get the members of the electoral college to vote for him regardless of their state’s popular vote and end up trying to provoke the leaders of a Middle Eastern country that is already hostile to the U.S.

Meanwhile, Governor Harding’s election team, her Chief of Staff, Security Chief, executive assistant, etc., are spending most of their time trying to refute President Barlow’s claims of impropriety resulting from a hospital visit to an old friend. Much of the book revolves around Republican claims and actions and the Democratic responses to them. We, the readers, begin to wonder if the new presidency will ever take over.

The novel mirrors almost perfectly the events of the 2020 presidential election, although it leans heavily on Republican actions. This tends to lead the reader to feel very sorry for the Democrats because of all the work they have to do to keep the Republicans from "winning" by various illegal means. This is a negative that I did find within the pages of this book. I don’t know, but the Democrats probably did their fair share of questionable things, and they were not discussed.

I did enjoy that Governor (President-elect) Harding was able to pick up the scattered pieces fairly quickly. She had a great staff who, for the most part, had been with her since the beginning of the campaign and even in the governor’s office. The staff was able to guide her in making decisions that would not only affect her but the entire country. Ms. Harding seemed well aware of the consequences of any decision that she would make.

I will rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. I found some errors while reading, and they were fairly evenly spaced throughout the novel. The main reason for the less-than-perfect rating was the unbalanced presentation of the two campaigns. Barlow’s team seemed to be all bad while Harding’s seemed to be all good, and we know that is just not possible. For the most part, I enjoyed reading this book. It took a complicated subject, the election process in the United States, and made it somewhat understandable.

Tipping Point
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jnapika D
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

Wonderful review. Though I know very little about the political system of America, I still want to read the book and find out who won the race.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Jnapika D wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 04:34 Wonderful review. Though I know very little about the political system of America, I still want to read the book and find out who won the race.
It is both as good as and as bad as you can imagine. :tiphat:
Uchechi uk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechi-uk.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Uchechi uk »

I want to know more about this book but I feel it might be too lengthy. The political system of America should be an educating one.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Uchechi uk wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 03:18 I want to know more about this book but I feel it might be too lengthy. The political system of America should be an educating one.
It SHOULD be, but oftentimes it is anything but. :techie-studyinggray:
Kutloano Makhuvhela
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kutloano-makhuvhela.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

OK, now this was indeed a fantastic review. So upbeat and engaging. Yes, the U.S. election system has always fascinated me, especially the Electorate College. I don't understand why it is not one-person-one-vote. I am interested in reading it.
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Kutloano Makhuvhela wrote: 05 Sep 2023, 06:12 OK, now this was indeed a fantastic review. So upbeat and engaging. Yes, the U.S. election system has always fascinated me, especially the Electorate College. I don't understand why it is not one-person-one-vote. I am interested in reading it.
It was all a part of the original design 200+ years ago. :techie-studyingbrown:
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

It is good to shed light on these events, and I greatly appreciate your point of view that there must be a balance in presenting different points of view. This is a distinguished and carefully written review.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Sarah Zain wrote: 07 Sep 2023, 02:08 It is good to shed light on these events, and I greatly appreciate your point of view that there must be a balance in presenting different points of view. This is a distinguished and carefully written review.
Balance is everything! :cooking:
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

I usually don't read political books, but your brutal honesty in your review is intriguing, and I appreciate that. I am curious to read the book and dig deeper into the reality of the 2020 election and find more info on the truth. Thank you for your insightful review, Amy.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 25 Sep 2023, 13:10 I usually don't read political books, but your brutal honesty in your review is intriguing, and I appreciate that. I am curious to read the book and dig deeper into the reality of the 2020 election and find more info on the truth. Thank you for your insightful review, Amy.
Unfortunately, it's difficult to know the REAL truth because I wasn't there. I just know that one side can't be 100% right while the other side is 100% wrong. :tiphat:
Emma Ussel
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-ussel.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Emma Ussel »

Ah this book seems right in my alley to get mad at foreign politics and shake my fist at the whole system... Great review! Will surely be picking it up to scream at clouds later :D
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 95%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Strictly political book is not something I prefer reading. However, the review is eloquently written, listing everything that worked as well as didn't work. I agree with your argument that in politics, no one can be all good or all bad. I congratulate you for writing such a great review.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Amy Luman wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 17:20 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tipping Point" by Edward Correia.]

Do you understand how the political system in the United States works? Is the outcome ever what the people of the country intended? Have you ever considered what the original framers of the Constitution intended?

They begin by trying to get the members of the electoral college to vote for him regardless of their state’s popular vote and end up trying to provoke the leaders of a Middle Eastern country that is already hostile to the U.S.

The novel mirrors almost perfectly the events of the 2020 presidential election, although it leans heavily on Republican actions.
This book looks like a great pick! I've read quite a bit of dry political non-fiction, so something more entertaining appeals to me! It is a little frightening that people are willing to provoke hostile nation-states for election purposes; however, after the 2020 elections, I guess this shouldn't raise a hair on my head! I can appreciate your stance on being more even-keeled with respect to party perspectives. I enjoyed your review. Thanks so much for sharing!
Amy Luman

Post by Amy Luman »

Vonnie33 wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 16:33 Ah this book seems right in my alley to get mad at foreign politics and shake my fist at the whole system... Great review! Will surely be picking it up to scream at clouds later :D
I’m really more upset with the media to be honest. :lire4:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”