Review of The Ace of Diamonds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: I Have Proof of a Higher Power by Ioan Dirina

Review of The Ace of Diamonds

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ace of Diamonds" by Dylan Hall.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Maximillian and Olivia are a brother and sister duo who find themselves trapped on the outskirts of Gem Centre City, the capital of the Diamond Family Federation. The city-state is run like a company, and it’s led by Harold Diamond, the patriarch of the powerful Diamond family. It had pleased Harold to divide his magical city into two distinct economic zones. The largest and the most prosperous side was reserved for the affluent section of the population known as the Citizen Elites. The poor, on the other hand, were allocated a place on the outskirts of the city known as the Citizen Failure (CF) area.

Despite scoring high in the “looks” or “appearance” section, Maximillian and Olivia found themselves relegated to the CF zone simply because they had low intellectual and physical evaluation scores.

Even with its spectacular setting and a strong beginning scene featuring a mysterious character, the plotline of the story The Ace of Diamonds by Dylan Hall fell flat. I was expecting a significant move from Maximillian because of his opening dream that seemed to foreshadow what was going to happen to the ruling family. My expectations had been heightened further by the presence of a black cat that kept showing up outside Maximillian and Olivia’s house. Sadly, this was not to be as Maximillian largely kept to his daily grind and Olivia vanished!

Consequently, to a greater extent, the novel lacked the foundational balance of a protagonist against an antagonist. With nothing much to detract him, Harold was simply an evil dude in an evil society doing evil stuff. To round off my list of cons, the novel had numerous editing errors that could easily have been avoided.

Despite that, I enjoyed this story because it was a quick read about the growing imbalance between the haves and the have-nots. Harold was an example of a fabulously rich man whose biased policies and attitude favored the rich and well-connected at the expense of the poor.

As I conclude, I deducted two stars because of the poor plot development and the editing, and I rated the book 3 out of 5 stars. This book will suit a reader interested in learning about the inequalities built into our society that keep the rich getting richer. At the same time, it may not suit you if you hate novels where the villain has a well-written presence compared to the hero.

The Ace of Diamonds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Babelyn pable
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Babelyn pable »

I like the concept of your books the villain which is the rich get high and higher income cause the influence the power in the society but the poor one you can some details that help his/her character get power too
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

I like the concept if the book discussing the haves and have nots, but I think like you I would be disappointed with the plot. It is a letdown when your excitement has been built and then the author lets this happen. Great review though.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

I appreciate the well-structured review. The author's excellent book and its intriguing title have piqued my interest, prompting me to add it to my bookshelf without a doubt.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

The reviewer's critique stands out for me, appreciating both the well-written review, the rating given, and the recommendation provided. I must emphasize the quality of this piece, thoroughly enjoying the content while reading it.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Thank you for the well-explained review. You have explained the pros and cons so explicitly. I can say that this book may not be something that I would like to read.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”