Review of Bellamy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Bellamy

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bellamy" by G. Bradley Davis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bellamy by G. Bradley Davis follows the character of Calvin as he grows up in a small town during the 60s. Calvin is an outcast in his family; his stepmother constantly reminds him he will never live up to expectations. He also feels like the third wheel of his friend group. However, Calvin has an imaginary friend, Bellamy, to ease the loneliness. Calvin also befriends the other social outcasts of the town: an African-American girl his age and an older gay gentleman. However, Calvin hides these relationships from everyone else in his life, as he doesn't want those associations to give others more cause to shun him. When a friend of Calvin's is murdered, the town is thrown into chaos, and prejudice runs rampant. How will Calvin's life be impacted by this event? Read Bellamy to find out.

To me, one of the standout features was Davis's ability to transport the reader into the shoes of Calvin. His frustration as a child with ADHD is evident. Each school year Calvin started off great, and a few months in, he ended up doing poorly. However, when interested in a topic, Calvin had no problem learning everything he could. This had his parents and teachers believe that he was simply lazy.

The book also contains commentary on the issues of the time, such as homophobia and racism, through Calvin's friendships. These issues are not an item of the past, and I believe this book could be eye-opening to many. I found it interesting to compare the blatant prejudice that existed then to the prejudices of today. In many ways, society has not come that far since the 60s.

The only minor dislike I had of this book was that I would, on occasion, get a little confused by the time skips. I had a bit of a hard time keeping track of what age Calvin was supposed to be. However, this is an extremely minor detail and did not cause a large interruption to my reading experience.

I award this book 5 out of 5 stars. It is both a thrilling and important story. It teaches of the dangers of prejudice and the devastating reality that stems from it. The book, with its setting in the 60s and 70s, will hold a note of nostalgia for those who grew up during that time period. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a coming-of-age novel that features small-town life, murder, and a reminder of the social struggles of that period. This book captures a childhood that I believe would speak to anyone.

Bellamy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Your recognition of the author's ability to immerse readers in Calvin's perspective, particularly his struggles with ADHD and the resulting frustration and misperceptions, highlights the depth of character development in the book.
Miracle Oge Adaeze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-oge-adaeze.html
Latest Review: The Maple Seed Helicopter by Marco Collina

Post by Miracle Oge Adaeze »

This book hits close to home, as I had a relative with ADHD when she was much younger. Thankfully, she was able to live through that period because she got support and not judgement from family. It's sad that Calvin didn't get that kind of support from family, and they blacklisted him as lazy. This is an emotional book.
Cara Wilding
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Laney K wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 03:59 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bellamy" by G. Bradley Davis.]

Bellamy by G. Bradley Davis follows the character of Calvin as he grows up in a small town during the 60s. Calvin is an outcast in his family; his stepmother constantly reminds him he will never live up to expectations. He also feels like the third wheel of his friend group. However, Calvin has an imaginary friend, Bellamy, to ease the loneliness. Calvin also befriends the other social outcasts of the town: an African-American girl his age and an older gay gentleman. However, Calvin hides these relationships from everyone else in his life, as he doesn't want those associations to give others more cause to shun him. When a friend of Calvin's is murdered, the town is thrown into chaos, and prejudice runs rampant. How will Calvin's life be impacted by this event? Read Bellamy to find out.

To me, one of the standout features was Davis's ability to transport the reader into the shoes of Calvin. His frustration as a child with ADHD is evident. Each school year Calvin started off great, and a few months in, he ended up doing poorly. However, when interested in a topic, Calvin had no problem learning everything he could. This had his parents and teachers believe that he was simply lazy.

The book also contains commentary on the issues of the time, such as homophobia and racism, through Calvin's friendships. These issues are not an item of the past, and I believe this book could be eye-opening to many. I found it interesting to compare the blatant prejudice that existed then to the prejudices of today. In many ways, society has not come that far since the 60s.
I don't know why, but this has a "Lincoln Lawyer" feel to it. It also immediately made me think of the "Bellamy Brothers" music (some of my favorite feel good tunes). It's odd what a book title or description gets you to think or feel! I'm always on the lookout for characters that fulfill that "underdog" role; I love rooting for them! It made me a little sad to see that he had to hide those most satisfying connections due to the potential for added shunning. The reality of this is so true though. Having the additional challenge of ADHD and parents who are clearly not supportive adds to the drama of this storyline. The book clearly covers so many issues of the time; nevertheless, you've made a salient point that these are still problems occurring today. Great review, I very much enjoyed reading it. Thanks so much for sharing it, until next time...
:tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”