Review of Music on the Bones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Jake the Last by Colin Payne

Review of Music on the Bones

Post by Christell Lindeque »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Music on the Bones" by Jody Marriott and Avi Bar-Lev.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jodie Marriott and Avi Bar-Lev have collaborated to write the historical fiction novel titled "Music on the Bones". This book recounts the experiences of a Jewish doctor named Maxim Jacobovitch at the age of 27 and living during the late 1960s in the Soviet Union and the United States of America. Max and other people who share his ideas yearned for a utopia in which people of all classes and races could coexist peacefully, but the government is more concerned with building the ideal community of people with fair skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair. There is a restriction on the types of books and music that can be read and listened to, and there is no room for independent thought or disagreement, or else the free thinkers will disappear and never be heard of again.

In this book, you dig into the fascinating methods people used to conceal illicit music and information from the government. The individuals put their lives on the line not only for musical expression and literary expression but also for what they believed in. Once a citizen is discovered to be in possession of illegal goods, they are typically not seen or heard from again. This is because the government is of the opinion that, in order to create the ideal utopia, only specific things should be permitted. The book covers topics such as racism, torture, and police brutality; however, it does not get into the specifics of these topics, so it should be safe for readers with sensitive sensibilities to read. It is guaranteed that reading this book will make the reader appreciate what they have, particularly the ability to enjoy freedom of speech without being subject to such severe penalties.

I absolutely adore reading books like this one because they give you the opportunity to see another era from the perspective of a character and provide insight into what life may have been like in other countries. You also gain an understanding of their culture and the fact that life during that era was far more challenging than it is today. Where we have more rights and freedom to read and listen to whatever we want whenever we want without restriction. The fact that this book is based on real events and historical facts was one of the aspects that I appreciated most about it. I thought it was extremely interesting that the authors incorporated multiple relationships, and everything about Valerie, from her character to her attitude to what her character stands for, captivated me. 

In the beginning, it was challenging for me to remember the names of the numerous characters, and at other points, I had to read some paragraphs more than once. After reading the first fifty pages, I really started to get into the book, and the more I got into it, the more I realised how much I adored it overall, particularly after Valerie was shown to the pages.

This book earns a perfect score of five out of five stars from me because, despite the fact that I did, in fact, find a few things I disliked about the start (some of which are described above), they were not significant enough for me to dock a star for them. I adore both the premise of it and the story itself, in particular the character of Valerie. I have no doubt that it has been edited by a professional, as the number of mistakes I discovered is too small to warrant a point deduction.

Individuals who enjoy reading historical fiction that is based on true events and who enjoy reading about characters who put themselves in harm's way in order to experience the pleasures of life that are illegal in their own nations are the kind of individuals to whom I would recommend this book. 

Music on the Bones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephen Pokoo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-pokoo.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Stephen Pokoo »

Having experienced "Music on the bones" a work of historical fiction, I am truly moved by the author's ability to transport me to a different time and place. This book has left a lasting impact, deepening my appreciation for history and the power of storytelling. It's a testament to the book's ability to evoke emotions and create a connection with the past. Your excellent review deepens my delight of the book.
Miracle Oge Adaeze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-oge-adaeze.html
Latest Review: The Maple Seed Helicopter by Marco Collina

Post by Miracle Oge Adaeze »

I like that the author used real events. That way, we can connect to the events and characters better. Thank you for the amazing review.
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Your insights into the book's themes, characters, and historical context provide valuable information for potential readers. It's clear that you appreciated the depth of the story and how it delved into the methods people used to conceal illicit materials in a restrictive society. Your comments on the exploration of topics like racism, torture, and police brutality and how they were handled in the book offer important insights for readers who may have sensitive sensibilities. Your recommendation and enthusiasm for the book are clear, and they will undoubtedly help others decide whether to explore this historical fiction novel.
Marina
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Christell Lindeque wrote: 12 Oct 2023, 11:37 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Music on the Bones" by Jody Marriott and Avi Bar-Lev.]

Jodie Marriott and Avi Bar-Lev have collaborated to write the historical fiction novel titled "Music on the Bones". This book recounts the experiences of a Jewish doctor named Maxim Jacobovitch at the age of 27 and living during the late 1960s in the Soviet Union and the United States of America. Max and other people who share his ideas yearned for a utopia in which people of all classes and races could coexist peacefully, but the government is more concerned with building the ideal community of people with fair skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair. There is a restriction on the types of books and music that can be read and listened to, and there is no room for independent thought or disagreement, or else the free thinkers will disappear and never be heard of again.

In this book, you dig into the fascinating methods people used to conceal illicit music and information from the government. The individuals put their lives on the line not only for musical expression and literary expression but also for what they believed in. Once a citizen is discovered to be in possession of illegal goods, they are typically not seen or heard from again. This is because the government is of the opinion that, in order to create the ideal utopia, only specific things should be permitted. The book covers topics such as racism, torture, and police brutality; however, it does not get into the specifics of these topics, so it should be safe for readers with sensitive sensibilities to read. It is guaranteed that reading this book will make the reader appreciate what they have, particularly the ability to enjoy freedom of speech without being subject to such severe penalties.

I absolutely adore reading books like this one because they give you the opportunity to see another era from the perspective of a character and provide insight into what life may have been like in other countries. You also gain an understanding of their culture and the fact that life during that era was far more challenging than it is today.
When I can't see the cover of a book, as is the case in these forums, the titles tend to stoke my imagination and interest. I wondered what this book would be about when I saw the title, and as I read your review, it was a delightful surprise to find such unexpected content! The focus on restricted music and information is unique. The fact that people were disappearing after having been caught with these items, tragic! I would agree with you that these kinds of books definitely give me a sense of appreciation for what I have today - easy to be grateful when an author can share these experiences based on true stories. I enjoyed reading your review, thank you so much for sharing it with us! Until next time...
:tiphat:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”