Review of Adoka Son

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Review of Adoka Son

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adoka Son" by Ad'Obe Obe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African” by Ad’Obe Obe is an interesting book where the author tells a unique tale of growing up in a remote setting during the emergence of western civilization in his village. It’s a book that showcases the rich ancestral and cultural heritage of the Idoma kingdom.

I love how the author’s narrative style creates a vivid imagination in the minds of the readers as events unfold. There’s the theme of reincarnation, as Alechenu is believed to be Grandma Ob’ikwu’s late husband. The number of names given to Emmanuel by different people, such as Alechenu, Obonya, Ada, Adam, and Ad’Obe, were unique and fascinating.

The land of Idoma is a place where marrying multiple wives is the norm. However, I was surprised to find that Papa had snatched Obe’s mother from her lawfully wed husband. The rich folktales, songs, and storytelling are another aspect I love about the book. I like the way the traditional rites were performed, such as circumcision, among others. I also enjoyed the conversation between Catechist Gregory and Papa, who discussed the switch from telling time traditionally to knowing the time with the use of a clock, the new white man’s lifestyle.

Papa’s open-mindedness to embracing the white man’s religion for his son and people is another thing that strikes me. He’s also in support of teaching his son English, Igbo, and Idoma, as he believes it will pave the way for him. I particularly admire the bond shared between father and son. I’m equally amazed at the author’s recollection of his childhood memories, as he’s able to put down the highlights of his childhood and upbringing. He’s well-detailed at outlining the names of people and the specific places where events take place.

There’s nothing I disliked about this book. The author presented the facts in a realistic way. I found some errors, which can easily be corrected by more editing touches. This book was professionally edited.

I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. It is recommended to anyone who seeks to learn about a new culture, the advent of western civilization into Africa, traditional rites, and the ancestral heritage of the Idoma kingdom.

Adoka Son
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-ogechukwu-bianca.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca »

An amazing review that touched vital aspects of the book. Will definitely check it out. Congrats on an amazing review.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

Your review offers a detailed exploration of "Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African" by Ad’Obe Obe, praising its portrayal of the Idoma kingdom's rich cultural heritage, the author's vivid storytelling style, and the intricate descriptions of traditions, familial bonds, and historical shifts in a remote African setting.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

As a Black American, I can't seem to subdue my interest in the African continent. Maybe because my origins did start there. Therefore, I know I'll enjoy this story, Adoka Son.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Adoka Son" by Ad'Obe Obe is an interesting tale about westernization and the Idoma culture. I love reading about history books. I would consider reading this book.
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

I really enjoyed reading your review, as it provides good insight into the book. I would surely add this to my waiting book list. Thanks for such a detailed review. I’d like to learn more about the land of Idoma.
Chiamaka_Glory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-glory.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Chiamaka_Glory »

I’m interested to learn more about the Idoma kingdom. The African cultural heritage is quite rich and beautiful to read of. Thanks for a great review.
Colleado Keana Rose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleado-keana-rose.html
Latest Review: Rise and Conquer by Juan Partida

Post by Colleado Keana Rose »

It's wonderful to hear that your connection to the African continent and your heritage sparks a genuine interest in stories like "Adoka Son." Exploring narratives that resonate with one's roots can be a deeply enriching experience. I hope you find the story of Adoka Son both enjoyable and meaningful as you connect with the themes and perspectives presented.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”