Review of Adoka Son

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Naushin Moledina
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Re: Review of Adoka Son

Post by Naushin Moledina »

"Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African" by Ad’Obe Obe vividly portrays African traditions in Nigeria, blending cultural customs with European influences. The narrative traces the author's upbringing in Ogobia village, highlighting significant events like his naming ceremony, family dynamics, and interactions with the Roman Catholic Mission. Rich in folklore and rituals, the book offers insight into Nigerian heritage. With its thorough exploration of societal dynamics and family relationships, it earns a flawless 5-star rating, recommended for readers interested in African literature and cultural studies. Thank you for a great review!
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Nancy004
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Nancy004 »

"Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African" by Ad’Obe Obe offers a captivating glimpse into Nigerian culture and tradition, beautifully portraying family relationships and the intersection of African and European influences. This book is a must-read for those interested in exploring rich cultural narratives.
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Balkan Air by Aydin Kavara
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 11%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African by Ad’Obe Obe is a book that captures the author's traditions and childhood. This is a book that should be passed down through generations to keep the culture alive.
mark liu
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by mark liu »

Well written- thoroughly enjoyed the cultural information.
sanjeev maurya
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjeev-maurya.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by sanjeev maurya »

Thank you for sharing such a detailed and insightful review of "Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African" by Ad’Obe Obe. Your description of the book's content and themes makes it sound truly captivating, especially in its exploration of African traditions and the influence of European customs. I appreciate the way you highlighted the author's skill in depicting cultural evolution and the richness of Nigerian heritage.

Your mention of the strong portrayal of family relationships and the significance of tradition has further piqued my interest in reading this book. It's reassuring to hear that the book was professionally edited, ensuring a high-quality reading experience. Based on your review, I am excited to delve into this memoir and explore the intricate dynamics of Nigerian society and culture.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: Passion Struck by John R. Miles

Post by Hy Be »

Adoka Son" by Ad'Obe Obe is an autobiography of author himself narrating his childhood memories to his life experiences in Ogobia. The author weaved themes of culture, familial bonds and spirituality in this book.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I have some friends from Nigeria, but I don't know a lot about their culture. I'm excited to read this book to learn more. The first chapter captivated my attention. He has a wonderful way with words and tells his story beautifully.
Annalisa Whyte
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalisa-whyte.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Annalisa Whyte »

I like this review. It highlights the books main points like the African Culture and the author's childhood life which would be an interesting read.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 622
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

This sounds interesting as I don't know much about Nigeria's history. In South Africa all you hear about Nigerians is how dangerous they are and that they sell drugs, so this would be a refreshing view of the country and it's people as I'm sure there is so much more to them than just the bad stigma. Thanks for a great review. Congrats on BOTD and thanks for the free book.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

If there's any nation so particular about culture then without a doubt, it's definitely Nigeria. I appreciate the fact that we take our different cultures very seriously and I'm glad the author wrote a book like this one to tell the world about our culture.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

I completely agree with your assessment of 'Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African' by Ad’Obe Obe. The book beautifully captures the essence of Nigerian culture and family dynamics. Your review eloquently highlights its cultural richness and the author's skillful storytelling. I look forward to reading it myself!
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by MMcB »

Interested in Nigerian and African culture and how those customs blend with European customs and culture? It is possible that “Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of an African” by Ad’Obe Obe is a book you will appreciate. Containing memoirs of the life of the author that range from individual to family to community this tome tells the story of how customs and culture can combine to help make our life and community life shine! The reviewer claimed the book was perfect which is high praise, indeed.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Himanshu K Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himanshu-k-yadav.html
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo

Post by Himanshu K Yadav »

Obe reigns in the difference in the indigenous cultures by viewing the conflicts through the unadulterated eyes of a child, finding ways to describe the loss, the boldness, and occasionally the defiance that these changes provoke.
Latest Review: ARKO by U.W. Leo
Abraham Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abraham-ozo.html
Latest Review: Come What May by Marie Fostino

Post by Abraham Ozo »

Adoka Son beautifully immerses readers in the vibrant world of African traditions. From captivating folklore to profound rituals, every page is a journey into the heart of Nigeria's cultural richness. A must-read for anyone seeking to understand the depth of African heritage.
Kevin Kipngeno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevin-kipngeno.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Kevin Kipngeno »

I love reading about the traditions and cultures of other regions. It is a must-read for me. Congrats!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”